Englander 25 PDV (output)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EWILT

Dec 5, 2007
Wyoming
Purchased the stove brand new in Oct of this year. I'm pretty pleased with the stove, however I have a few concerns. The stove is in my basement (1500sqft), it is a walk-out. It's not finished (studded/insulated where the studs are, with concrete walls not insulated yet). There are some large windows but other than that it is wide open. The floor is still unfinished also. My concern is I feel like it isn't putting enough heat out. Getting the room over 70-73 is almost impossible when it is below 35 outside. I have contacted Fred (who has been great)at Englander and we've changed the settings to "A" mode with little difference, today we set it at "C" mode. I will try it tonight and see if that changes anything. I just found this site and scrolled through some of the posts. I see that some have higher heat flow on lower fan settings. I have to run mine on 7-9 (heat) and 9 (fan) to get the room to stated above temps. I haven't ever ran it on the lower settings but will try that tonight. I also was getting "clinkers" on the plate and the glass was sooting after 3-6 hours of burning. Most of this was before we changed the settings, it got better. I think the stove should heat the basement up, even though it is not fully insulated. The house is 1 1/2 years old so drafts aren't a problem. Any suggestions/help would be great. I don't want to sound as if Fred isn't helping Mike...I just want to get some other pellet burners opinions. Thanks

Eric

heating concrete takes time, you will want to run virtually constant to get the concrete warmed up , should be able to settle it in after that happens. im sure that once the rest of the basement is insulated it will do a lot better. my general rule of thumb is with exposed concrete you want at least 1/3 more square footage heating capacity than you would need with the same space with framed walls such as upstairs. the "c" mode will probably help some as well.

Well I burned in the "C" mode last night and noticed a significant difference. Not sure what the mode change did to the stove, but I think we are close to perfect. One concern is the stove seemed to be pretty hot on the higher settings which was great I just don't want to get to hot for safe operation. I think it is more the basement not being 100% insulated than the stove not putting out enough heat as you stated Mike. I used to have a black soot on the plate in the back, this morning I had a white ash build up. Hope this is what we are shooting for. Is there any mod's that can be made to prevent the ash build up on the burn plate? The opening of the auger was covered about half way after burning all night on 7. Thanks for all the help,

Eric

Not sure what it does...it's a setting for the computer in the stove I think. There is A,B,C settings depending on the elevation etc... I know that the C setting has helped and I live in Cheyenne Wy, wasn't that cold last night (low 20's) should get a good feel this weekend with a front rolling through. Mike might tap in and enlighten the both of us though!

Eric

our boards have a lot of features and settings , above and beyond what is accessable to the end user, most of them are not used in most cases, but can be employed when the situation requires it. these settings are not somthing to be played with lightly so they are kept from public knowledge to prevent someone unlocking a pandora's box and causing a problem. if the stove is doing somthing that it shouldnt , or not doiing somthing it should i (or one of my techs ) can usually dial it in or out. but you have to know what you are doing to affect these changes. so they stay in my pocket to be used only in response to an issue. i will not post them as if misused they can cause problems.

Michael6268 said:
Viola! ........ Mystery solved!

Nice! You probably will be helping lots of future newbs screw their
stoves up prior to seeking proper assistance.

zeta said:
Michael6268 said:
Viola! ........ Mystery solved!

Nice! You probably will be helping lots of future newbs screw their
stoves up prior to seeking proper assistance.

Well said, you going to take the service calls, because you have advised owners to change settings that even you don't know what they do or how they affect the operation. I'd call that a little irresponsible.

at the risk of being loud I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE THAT NOBODY DO THAT WITHOUT CONSULTING ME FIRST! in the wrong situation the wrong mode setting can cause malfunctions. which is why i didnt want that information out there.

Mike requested that this internal Englander information not be on complete public view - rather contact him for any information on these settings.
(that is why some posts were removed).........he does not want folks voiding their warranties and doing other experiments without him being on the other end of the phone or email

Status
Not open for further replies.