Englander 25-PDVCH: Vent and OA Design Considerations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 21, 2018
Upstate NY
Good morning!

I just picked up a 2007 Englander, and am preparing to install it in a corner of our living room. The centrally-located corner is already bricked from floor to ceiling, and the brick hearth pad is sufficient to account for all of the manufacturer required clearances. The inside vent length from the top of the exhaust fitting to the interior ceiling is approximately 102". Roof pitch is 2 in 12, and the vent will be approximately 9-10' from the ridge, and 10-12' from a 6 in 12 ridge running perpendicular, probably 4-6' away from the valley without going up there and looking at it right now.

In addition to being aesthetically preferred, it would be spatially advantageous to center the chimney on the stove since it's a corner installation. Is there such thing as a 90 degree adapter elbow so that the vent can take an immediate turn out the back of the stove, and then go into the clean-out tee and straight up? I saw a YouTube video suggesting the existence of such an adapter, but searching hasn't turned one up. The only other thing I can think to do is to install an adapter tee at an angle on the back of the stove and then pick that up with a 45 degree elbow before going up.

Also, can the outside air be run down to my vented crawlspace or should I run pipe from it to the outside of the foundation? I don't mind doing it, but if it's overkill, there's no point.

Thanks very much!

Best,

Nathan

Good evening,

Just a quick update, I installed the vent today and we're up and running! I wound up going with the ICC ExcelPellet vent system, and accommodated the needed offset by mounting the cleanout tee at a 45 degree angle and then using a 45 degree elbow to direct the vent back to vertical; works like a champ!

The Excel isn't cheap but it was very easy to work with, each pipe and fitting has a built-in silicone gasket so the only thing you need to do yourself is seal the adapter to the stove exhaust. It is also listed for 1" clearance to combustibles which is a plus for tight quarters.

Best,

Nathan