Englander 25-PDVD/55 Pellet size??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ed Churilla

May 14, 2013
pittsburgh PA
bought a ton from Tractor Supply and started having feed problems. I've removed the plate at the pellet feed hole but for some reason these pellets are clogging the auger and not going thru the tubes to the burn plate. Had no issues with the previous 2 tons I used from them. They are Cheat River hardwood brand. Some of them exceed 2" in size. Any suggestions?? Pic attached
P1010002.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe not the right thing to do but drop the full
unopened bag of pellets on the floor 2 or 3 times
hopefully, it will break up the longer pellets
More fines but shorter pellets. what is
there to lose by trying?

Reactions: ABusWrench
I had a ton of pellets a few years ago with extremely long pellets. Ended up dropping/banging the bag on the basement floor several times before pouring into the hopper.

Thx for the replies thought of that but didn’t want to risk the bag breaking and having pellets everywhere. I made a tool from a 2’ long 6x6 and attached a handle from a piece of furring. Put some pellets in a container and pound the crap outta them. Hoping it’s an isolated couple of bags.

Thx for the replies thought of that but didn’t want to risk the bag breaking and having pellets everywhere. I made a tool from a 2’ long 6x6 and attached a handle from a piece of furring. Put some pellets in a container and pound the crap outta them. Hoping it’s an isolated couple of bags.
I guess that would work but I think you would destroy 2 many pellets (DUST)
I have never seen a dropped bag split open in the 22 years I have been burning pellets.
But I guess there is always a first-time

I guess that would work but I think you would destroy 2 many pellets (DUST)
I have never seen a dropped bag split open in the 22 years I have been burning pellets.
But I guess there is always a first-time
Several years ago I had four or five bags break open at the seams that were on a stacked pallet. What a mess! I think the manufacturer had a bad batch of plastic bags. They were Country Boy Pellets manufactured in southern KY.