Englander heat problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
MY timberridge was running absolutely great until I decided to do a thorough cleaning yesterday. Did a thorough vaccuming of the interior and then did a brushing and leaf blower cleaning of the vent. Since then the stove has gone out twice after running for several hours each time
As well, on the # 3 heat setting (upper) I am pushing 110 degree air out the front of the stove and 200 degree air out the end of the vent outside. The flame is smaller and has look as if it is getting too much push from the combustion fan. The room air fan is running the same as it always has. This stove was great until the cleaning yesterday. Any thoughts?

How active is the flame? if it's lazy you won't get the same heat putput...check all the gaskets, make sure the ashpan is (if equipped) is tight...

rottiman said:
MY timberridge was running absolutely great until I decided to do a thorough cleaning yesterday. Did a thorough vaccuming of the interior and then did a brushing and leaf blower cleaning of the vent. Since then the stove has gone out twice after running for several hours each time
As well, on the # 3 heat setting (upper) I am pushing 110 degree air out the front of the stove and 200 degree air out the end of the vent outside. The flame is smaller and has look as if it is getting too much push from the combustion fan. The room air fan is running the same as it always has. This stove was great until the cleaning yesterday. Any thoughts?

It sounds like it is getting to much combustion air . Unfortunately I don't know how that is controlled . Do you have an impingement plate ?If you had it out did you get it back in correctly .I got mine in wrong once and it wasn't burning right . That's the big one at the back of the combustion chamber above the burn pot .It can get hung up
if not positioned just right . I think you have the same stove as me .

rottiman said:
MY timberridge was running absolutely great until I decided to do a thorough cleaning yesterday........Since then the stove has gone out twice after running for several hours each time.......

What heat setting were you running at when the stove went out? Did it go out from lack of pellets in the burn pot, or the burn pot was full of pellets?

macman said:
rottiman said:
MY timberridge was running absolutely great until I decided to do a thorough cleaning yesterday........Since then the stove has gone out twice after running for several hours each time.......

What heat setting were you running at when the stove went out? Did it go out from lack of pellets in the burn pot, or the burn pot was full of pellets?

Makes no difference what the heat setting is, it will go out after a couple of hours (3-5) either way. The impingment plate is in exactly as befor,and there is no ash pan. The flame in not lazy but actually the opposite, looking like it is burning too intensely. THe burn pot is empty when it goes out. As well, the interior of the stove is very black and carboned up after a couple hours of burning. When it goes out, it will start right back up and run again for 3 to 5 hours before it does the same thing. The gaskets are intact as this is a new stove which has only burned about 50 bags so far. As I said, it was burning absolutely great before I decided to clean it on saturday. Obviously the vaccuming, brushing and leaf blower clean-out has changed something.

It is time to call the factory for help 1-800-245-6489 .

Excell said:
It is time to call the factory for help 1-800-245-6489 .

Yep, give Mike & the boys a call....something weird happened.

Well, the mystery is over. One little thing that I did change when I did the cleaning was the culprit. I have been burning LG Granules off and on this heating season with no problem. Last saturday I stopped at the same hardware store that I have purchased them from up to now,and picked up 10 bags. After I did the cleaning, I filled Ol'Black Betty with the new pellets. In hind sight, I see now that the LG granules I just picked up were different in appearance from the ones I had been getting. These are alot darker in colour, with a much harder consistencey and had a different smell. Bingo, the culprit....... They just did not burn worth a darn and produced alot less heat. No matter how you attempted to adjust the stove, they were lousy. I put them in my Pelpro insert which seems alotmore tolerant and though they burn better, they just aren't producing much heat in the insert as well. This is apparently a new shipment to this store. As soon as I put the Premium softwoods that I had been using back in Ol' Betty, she is back to burning A-Okay. So all appears to be back to good and the pellet burning Newbie learned another lesson in this adventure................... So for those burning LG Granules, keep and eye out because they have a batch that ain't too good.

Glad you got it squared away rottiman,I guess every pellet co. can have a bad batch from time to time.Thanks for the heads up.
mnkywrnch

rottiman said:
So for those burning LG Granules, keep and eye out because they have a batch that ain't too good.

That's good to know just in case there are others with the same issue. Thanks for the heads up!
jay

Glad it was something simple, Rottiman. If it was me, I'd be returning the unopened bags and getting something else, or my $$ back. Burning pellets is all about BTU's, and if those LG's are NG, return 'em! Does the hardware store sell any other brand?

macman said:
Glad it was something simple, Rottiman. If it was me, I'd be returning the unopened bags and getting something else, or my $$ back. Burning pellets is all about BTU's, and if those LG's are NG, return 'em! Does the hardware store sell any other brand?

No that is the only one they sell. We have very little selection in this area. I am going to burn then in the little Dragon, it has a little wider tolerance to the diet it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.