Englander into a masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jssls

Jul 17, 2008
Central Maine
I am looking at venting a Englander 25-pdvc into a masonry chimney. Total vent distance would be about 24'. Can I vent directly into my chimney or do I need a liner?

The chimney is a standard tile lined chimney approximately 8" square. I would have to climb up the get the exact measurement. It has an 8" thimble also.

that length and diameter , you should probably install a liner, with that big a flue its gonna be hard to maintain flue temps. i'd be more comfortable with a 6" but 8 inch or bigger (with an 8" thimble you will be 8 or bigger) especially with 24 ft of flue , i just dont see it working as well as it would with a 4" liner.

Thanks for the info. Is it correct to assume the same would apply to a 25-PDVC model as well? By the way, what is the BTU output of the 25-PDV and the 25-PDVC? I might need to change my plans due to dimensional issues. Thanks.

sls said:
Thanks for the info. Is it correct to assume the same would apply to a 25-PDVC model as well? By the way, what is the BTU output of the 25-PDV and the 25-PDVC? I might need to change my plans due to dimensional issues. Thanks.

yes, while a 6" flue at that length may have worked well, an 8X8 is just too big for either unit.

Installation manuals say no more than 6 inches round or 28 square inches. Even 6 inch square would be too large.

yeah , youre right , i was saying 6 Inch but didnt specify round , which is what mine is hooked to at 14 ft. it will work with that as it has for 3 winters in my hookup. actually it probably would in a single story chimney with square but at 24 ft it would be hard to keep the flue tiles hot. this could lead to creosote buildup as moisture present could liquify. 8X8 is definately too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.