Englander magnet trick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
So, last week i installed 2 3/4" magnets to block the air holes under the burn plate of mt PDV. Worked geeat for a few days but my clinkers came back. I noticed the flame started to go lopsoded pulling to the right and leaving a golfball sized black spot on the glass. Shut it down today to replace the magnets with 1x2" rectangle ones dad gave me. Low and behold, my left magner had moved off the hole! If you try this mod, make sure you get ones bigger than 3/4" rectangle seemed to work way better. Just though i would share

Magnets do lose there strength with heat. I used 3/4 metal snap in plugs.

Then I used some small self tapping screws to plug the upper 2 rows on the wear plate

Reactions: Pellet rick
I thought about screws. Wasnt sure if the ash would slide over them. Im just too lazy to fire up the mig...

The ash in mine blows out off of the wear plate. Pretty sure it the ash would slide over the screws.

I was just trying different things and didn't want to do something that is hard to reverse without buying parts

Reactions: Pellet rick
I screwed mine from the bottom and cut the top flush with an angle grinder. That way I can experiment on which holes I wanted open and still be able to change back .

Reactions: Smokinbubba
Clinkers come from particles in the fuel not the burn characteristics. Although they can be reduced some, they usually come from impurity’s in the the pellets

I find that fine tuning the combistion air gets rid of my clinkers. Running green supremes, power pellets, other cheapies, 141 does the trick. I picked up some green gold from green team and the lava pile returned. Yesterday, changed to 151 and no more lava. Powder ash only. My delivery of 3t green supremes came Sat so i will prolly go back to 141 for them.