Englander Pellet Stove: Crack Combustion Blower Housing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

etownKID

Nov 20, 2023
Pennsylvania
I recently purchased a home that has an Englander Pellet Stove in the basement, it looks to be a model PU-CB04. I've read the user manual and reviewed the stove structure and there are two things I'm concerned about before powering it up. I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice.

1. The instructions seem to indicate the need for a fresh air intake pipe coming from outside. This stove only has one pipe coming out the back and venting outside, I assume this just pushes the stove's fumes/vapors outside. Is it ok to pull air from inside the home? It seems as if the previous owners were doing this. - see included pics

2. What I believe is the Combustion Blower housing has a large crack in it and is generally corroded badly. I would imaging this draws the fumes/vapors away from the stove and pushes them up to the pipe that vents outside. Is there a big risk with running this stove with a cracked Combustion Blower housing? If so, would you replace only the housing? - see included pics

I appreciate anyone's advice, totally new to pellet stoves.

IMG_9450.jpg IMG_9452.jpg IMG_9453.jpg Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 11.44.18 AM.png Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 11.45.34 AM.png

Is this part fairly easy to install? Is the blower housing typically adhered to the vent pipe? Any thoughts on how to disconnect and reconnect once installed?

Yes it's very easy to replace. If I remember right it's held on with five screws but you need a socket for them. I think they are 5/32 but not certain of that. The chimney pipe is held on with 1 or two screws also.

Reactions: etownKID
Use whichever one you like!
Wires can be lengthened if needed
You will also need high-temperature silicon sealant
AKA RTV If you are mechanically inclined not hard to replace

I need some additional input. I received my new combustion blower and got the old one uninstalled. As you can see it is a mess behind it. Everything is rusted and the metal is pitted. Here are some questions I have:

- Is this normal wear and tear for an old stove or unrepairable?
- What is this part of the stove called? Can it be replaced?
- Would you bolt the new blower to this as is?

Also, when I removed the blower, the extension part broke off and stuck in the vent pipe. I had to remove the bottom part of the vent pipe because it was full of dust and soot, I couldn't believe how much. I can see up the rest of the vent to the outside and it is dirt but clear. Questions:

- Does a pellet stove require a special type of vent pipe?
- This pipe looks to be 3.5" wide, can I just go buy some pipe at a big box store?
- I bought rutland sealant to seal joints. Is this good? Do you use sealant where the combustion blower connects?
- Does replacement pipe need to be double walled?

Any help someone can provide is greatly appreciated!

IMG_9597.jpg IMG_9598.jpg IMG_9607.jpg Image 12-1-23 at 5.48 PM.jpeg Image 12-1-23 at 5.49 PM.jpeg

Looking at the amount of rust that's on the stove it looks like it has sat in a very damp cellar or has been submerged. You can try cleaning the surface up with a wire wheel and see if you can get down to clean metal and try and clean out the passage way back into the fire box. The vent pipe needs to be 3 inch I.D. and double walled. The section you have over the bucket is known as a clean out T. Which has a cap on the bottom end so you can empty the ash out. With the vertical pipe it will collect a lot of fine ash that makes it's way through the exhaust system. The sealant you have should be good. Just check to make certain it is marked as high temperature. Also look behind the impingement plate and make certain that cleared out. The plate is easy to remove. It just lifts up and will fit through the door at a slight angle. One other thing seeing you have it apart. There are two augers in the stove. The augers have grease fitting on them. They do not take much grease on a 1 or 2 squirts will do it.