Englander plate mod.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pete Zahria

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2014
New Hampster
mcmanusfuels.com
I saw this pic, but have not seen the thread where it came from.
Has anyone tried this, and what seemed to be the results?

Thanks.

Attachments

• plate_mod.jpeg
    plate_mod.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 139
I made it about 3 years ago Pete. Along with plugging the holes on both sides under the plate. It has greatly improved the burn characteristics in the 25pdvc and pdvc. I've done the mod on 11 stoves myself and quite a few members have done them also. I never really made a thread but just added the pics when folks have had issues

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I made it about 3 years ago Pete. Along with plugging the holes on both sides under the plate. It has greatly improved the burn characteristics in the 25pdvc and pdvc. I've done the mod on 11 stoves myself and quite a few members have done them also. I never really made a thread but just added the pics when folks have had issues
Thanks...
I plugged the two big holes underneath a long time ago,
that by itself
did make quite a difference..
I did chamfer the underside of the holes in the plate..
What do you have your 3 buttons set at?
Currently at 3-4-1 on mine. I generally have the stove set
at 1-3 mainly to keep the garage somewhat warm..
A bag goes a day on those setting for me.

Dan

I sold my last pdv to a co worker and we installed it in his shop 2 weeks ago. He says he left it on my setting which I believe was same as yours and the glass is still clean and keeps his shop around 60-65. 2 bags a weekend.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I covered the two bottom holes under the burn plate , which made my stove run perfectly, but didnt mod the plate. I find the holes in the front blow ash out and into the collection areas on either side thus requiring less maintenance on my part. If my stove didnt burn pellets to fine ash, i would prolly do the mod on mine. Running green supremes appellation hardwoods magic numbers on 4-4-1. YMMV

I did this mod as picture shows last week. What a difference!! I had holes plugged underneath last 2 yrs and stove ran ok but ashes built up and had to be cleaned every 24hrs. Now I did plate mod and can run for days without cleaning! Not very cold out, running on 1/2 and 24hrs to a bag