Enviro EF-5 question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
This summer i changed my outside air intake screen from a fine window screen to quarter inch hardware cloth.Now i can't burn the stove on a low setting.i have noticed the pellets drop very inconsistantly.The auger motor will run and nothing drops in.This will happen sometimes for 2 or 3 cycles than a couple pellets drop in then it goes a couple cycles and maybe a handfull drop.According to the manual if the stove drops to 120 degrees it will shut off so that i what i think is happening.If i shut the room blower off it will run on the lower setting.Just wondering if anone else with a EF-5 has had this problem.

I don't think that would effect pellet feed. But for giggles time how long the auger is on for. Should be 3 seconds each cycle. I would expect a pellet change would be the likely culprit.

Is this a digital controller? You should be able to trim up the feed to help reduce the issue.

Have you vacuumed the hopper to remove all the fines? Fines will accumulate in the bottom and block pellets from going up the auger.

Reactions: jtakeman
I stripped it down this summer,including vacuuming and blowing out the auger.Changed the gaskets on the exhaust blower,etc.Last year i had a finer screen in the oak and i could burn her on the lowest setting.I was burning cheaper pellets too.I'm thinking it's getting to much air now and the pellets are burning up before the next pellet drop and letting the stove get to cool so it shuts down.I've tryed adjusting the slider but it doesn't seem to make any difference where i set it.Like i said if i shut the room fan off it will burn fine on the low settings. yes Jake there is a auger trim on this stove but it will only work on the # 1 setting.It has no bearing on #2 and above and #2 is where i seem to have the most problem

I stripped it down this summer,including vacuuming and blowing out the auger.Changed the gaskets on the exhaust blower,etc.Last year i had a finer screen in the oak and i could burn her on the lowest setting.I was burning cheaper pellets too.I'm thinking it's getting to much air now and the pellets are burning up before the next pellet drop and letting the stove get to cool so it shuts down.I've tryed adjusting the slider but it doesn't seem to make any difference where i set it.Like i said if i shut the room fan off it will burn fine on the low settings.

Check the stove with a magnahelic gauge and adjust the damper to factory spec. But that won't have any effect pellet feed or make the stove drop fewer amounts of fuel per cycle.

Think i'll try the easy fix first,gonna go back to a finer screen on the oak

I'm thinking i've found the problem.The damper slide wasn't going full travel.That's why no matter where i set it i had no control of the air intake.I took it all apart,cleaned the the plate up,put it back together and now it's burning like a champ even on the #1 setting.I also found the screw it slides on was way loose leting it wobble when you pushed it in.Tightened it up,backed off a half turn and now it slides without any wobble.Well guess alls well that ends well.

Status
Not open for further replies.