Enviro Empress auger feed rate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VTPellet

Dec 16, 2021
Rochester VT
I'm a new owner of an old 2008 Enviro Empress. Everything seems good over 24 hours of use except the number of pellets dropping.

Some augur questions:
- is it normal for only 1 or 2 (and sometimes zero) pellets to drop with each augur cycle? Every once in awhile it randomly drops 5-10 pellets at a time and the flame and heat are great. But usually only only 1 at a time comes out even when it's on the high setting.

The augur motor is pretty loud on each cycle. It sounds like it's going through a lot of work only to drop a couple pellets,

Is it time to overhaul/replace the motor or am I overlooking anything else?

Hi there, sounds like a normal Empress, their flame pattern is one that does vary. I had an insert for over 10 years and have sold, cleaned and serviced many different stoves. The Empress did best when using short consistent sized pellets. As for auger noise, if that's the original motor (prob not), its time to replace. Auger motors from Enviro are pretty expensive, but if its time to replace it, I'd use one of theirs. Good luck with her.

Reactions: Mt Bob and VTPellet
Enviro Auger motors are very easy to replace
take a look at yours and you will see
Enviro parts are not cheap but I have been
using the same auger motor for 22 years
So I feel the cost is worth it

Reactions: Mt Bob
Hi there, sounds like a normal Empress, their flame pattern is one that does vary. I had an insert for over 10 years and have sold, cleaned and serviced many different stoves. The Empress did best when using short consistent sized pellets. As for auger noise, if that's the original motor (prob not), its time to replace. Auger motors from Enviro are pretty expensive, but if its time to replace it, I'd use one of theirs. Good luck with her.
Thanks, it's good to know that the flame varies. I'm starting to think the auger motor is ok and it may be a vibration issue. Next step is to tighten up the side panels.

I've tightened everything up which helps with most vibrations. But the auger motor still hums loudly on each pulse.

The flame consistently is good for 15 minutes at a time, and then the pellets don't come out in enough quantity (often none) with each pulse and then flame burns out with a small number of unburned pellets in the pot.

Planning to order and replace the auger motor, but wondering if there are any other likely causes when everything is going well and then it peters out.

Remove the motor from the stove
Remove the gear cover replace the lubrication that is in there (grease)
may help with the noise

I have the older version of that stove 2003 with original motor, you can drill a 1/16" hole in the gear box while installed and use a needle greaser to lubricate it, just don't drill into the internals, rubber pads under the legs helped with the augar pulse hum. These stoves do like pellets shorter than 1" as mentioned. Make sure the shaft isn't slipping and take apart the cover for the upper auger and clean out any debris and inspect the bronze bushings, if there is to much play it will bind in the housing. it should never go out with unburnt pellets unless you have the damper open to far.

Reactions: VTPellet
Thanks. I took off the cover, and everything looks good. There's almost no play in the rod, and pellets are all the way up it.

There are never unburned pellets, and the pellets are under 1".

My ideal would be to speed up the auger rate a bit. When I manually press the auger button, it feeds a few more pellets through and the flame is perfect.

I'm watching the motor run and it doesn't turn consistently. It frequently just hums without turning which am guessing is a capacitor issue. I just ordered a new motor.

it should be a shaded pole motor, no capacitor. let us know how you make out with the new one ;)

Reactions: johneh and VTPellet
Yes, there should be no cycles when it does not turn but only hums, something sounds amiss. Was going to ask if rubber boots were put on auger mount but someone else mentioned. My unit had the original auger motor still in it, but I'd changed the fans out (the combustion blower was actually number 3) because of noise/vibration. Prob time for a new auger. Keep warm, freezing here in CT today...

Yes, there should be no cycles when it does not turn but only hums, something sounds amiss. Was going to ask if rubber boots were put on auger mount but someone else mentioned. My unit had the original auger motor still in it, but I'd changed the fans out (the combustion blower was actually number 3) because of noise/vibration. Prob time for a new auger. Keep warm, freezing here in CT today...
Thanks for confirming. Yes, it has the rubber boots on the mount. The fans are good so far.

I installed a new auger motor today with help from a "Empress auger motor" youtube video.

In my case, the motor shaft was stuck in tight. After lots of jiggling and some googling, I found others have had the same situations. I ended up using a pry bar as a last resort and it worked.

Once the old one was out, the new motor was quick to install. I now have a quiet stove and a consistent flame.

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.