Enviro Empress Troubleshooting Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2006empress

Nov 18, 2015
Sharon, MA
It seems as though the blower on my Enviro Empress has stopped working. Not the combustion blower, but the blower that blows air from the room through the heat exchanger.

Any idea what the cause might be or how to fix this?

I should note, it seems as though everything else is operating normally. It's just that the heat isn't getting blown throughout the room because that fan isn't turning on at whatever temperature it's supposed to turn on at.

It also means that the stove is getting much hotter than it's supposed to.

I noticed the problem when I went to refill it, placed a bag of pellets on top, and the top was so hot that it melted the bottom of the bag of pellets, spilling them all across the living room floor. Fun.

It seems as though the blower on my Enviro Empress has stopped working. Not the combustion blower, but the blower that blows air from the room through the heat exchanger.

Any idea what the cause might be or how to fix this?

Just checked the temperature of the top (right above the heat exchanger), and it's reading 307 f on my laser thermometer. The convection blower isn't turning on, and the stove isn't turning itself off automatically, either.

Reactions: riverhead67
Check the high limit sensor to see if it's tripped. You can reset it if it has. When did you clean the fan last

Check the high limit sensor to see if it's tripped. You can reset it if it has. When did you clean the fan last

Where is the high limit sensor? The fan was cleaned about a year ago. I tried sticking a shop vac back there and vacuuming it as best I could, but it didn't make a difference.

Not sure on the enviro but your manual will show it. If it has tripped you need to figure out why. If stove is a 2006 then it may just be tired and need replacing.id remove it and blast it with compressed air first. Lube if needed

johneh gave you the procedure to troubleshoot the convection blower. The bearings on the blowers do fail over time. If it is the 160 sensor that needs to be replaced, take the time to clean out the convection blower since you have it pulled out (judging it is an insert but could be free standing!). Keep us posted...

Hey 2006- The Proof of fire switch (EC-001) mounted just above the exhaust blower must close before the motherboard will turn on the convection blower. If your conv blower is the original, it may have locked up. It also can be too dirty to turn properly as well. I'm surprised the hi temp did not interrupt things and shut the stove down, it almost always will when a convection blower does not turn on. Clean and/or replace the POF and If not the issue, clean and/or replace the convection blower. If you put power to the conv blower directly and it works, last culprit could be the mother board. Good luck with it.

EDIT Re-reading this sounds like it may be a FS stove, sorry. I was thinking insert- same procedure though but the FS conv blower is diff than the insert. POF is still the same.....