Enviro gas insert doesn't start unless I bump the gas valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ControlFreak

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Holden, MA
Hi,

I have this enviro gas insert that's wired to a thermostat. When the thermostat calls for heat, the insert will just sit there. After waiting a while, if I go and push the button on the gas valve used for lighting the pilot a few times, it will light right up.

Is it common for these gas valves to get sticky and need a little bump to light up? Is there a fix for such a thing?

Thanks,
Dan

Sounds like you've got a loose wire somewhere in the system.
Check the connections at the terminal block on the gas valve.
Loosen one screw at a time, pull the wires & take a look at the ends.
If you have bare wires, make sure they're clean.
If you have spade connectors, make sure they're tight.
Let us know what you find...

Could just be a loose wire, or a bad gas valve.

DAKSY said:

This morning I wiggled the wires going to the gas valve before turning on the thermostat, seeing if any of them were loose. They all felt tight. But after that, every time I cycled the thermostat it fired up instantly. Gee that was easy! One of those connections must be marginal. I'll have to retorque all the screws and reseat any spade lugs.

Thanks a ton!!!!!

ControlFreak said:
DAKSY said:

This morning I wiggled the wires going to the gas valve before turning on the thermostat, seeing if any of them were loose. They all felt tight. But after that, every time I cycled the thermostat it fired up instantly. Gee that was easy! One of those connections must be marginal. I'll have to retorque all the screws and reseat any spade lugs.

Thanks a ton!!!!!

No problem...Gotta love an easy fix...
More often than not gas valves do not fail.
I've only seen 2 of em go bad in 9 years + that I've been doing this stuff.
Loose connections are sometimes hard to track down, but that's generally
where the issues are.
I hadda service a gas fire place for an intermittent operation problem a coupla years back.
I opened the lower grille & could barely see the gas valve for all the dog hair & dust.
I blew the dust off the gas valve terminal block & off came a thermopile wire as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.