Enviro Mini shuts off after about 10 minutes....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lenzo

Feb 25, 2018
Jaffrey, NH
Hi, hoping for some help. I've had this Enviro Mini for 10 years, it's been a great stove, literally no issues till now. So, I cleaned it the other day. When I start it back up, it runs for 10 minutes, looks to be burning fine, then the auger and combustion blower cut out, and the room fills with smoke. No lights flashing on the control panel. I can cycle the on/off switch, and it will run fine for another 10 minutes, then stop again.

One more piece of info. After I cleaned it and started it back up, I accidentally unplugged it while it was running. It started with this behavior after that. Maybe I blew something on the control board?

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi. Still hoping for some advice. Maybe I need to put more info in the post? Anyhow, like I said, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried unplugging the stove for 10 minutes or so, to reset the control? Also, check whatever tells the control that the stove is up to temp, be it a snap switch or thermocouple, and associated wiring. You may have disturbed it while cleaning. It sounds to me like the control doesn't sense the stove has fire, and shuts down.

I tried the unplugging thing, probably didn't give it 10 minutes though. I think you're right about the fire sense, I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice!

You posted the auger and combustion blower stops working-- are you saying the combustion blower quits running completely and smoke comes into the room? If that is whats happening, then thats your problem. Either the blower, control board or wiring if indeed the blower stops running...

Reactions: vinny11950
I agree with Stovelark, if the combustion blower cuts out it is either the wiring, the control board or the combustion blower that is/are malfunctioning.

Use Johneh's links for troubleshoot. Additionally...

I would start by checking wires and connections, maybe wiggle the wires on startup and see if you can replicate the malfunction. Then inspect the combustion blower motor and see how well it is functioning. Is it overheating (does the motor body feel hot to the touch)? Is it making noises? How smoothly and easily is the fan turning (not sure if your model has the blades on the outside that would let you feel the rotational drag of the shaft)?

And lastly, the control board. Check the plugs and connections. If you can inspect the board without taking it out look for burned spots on the board, bulging capacitors. Remember to unplug the stove for this to avoid shorts and ground yourself first to avoid static charge damaging the board.

Is the stove on a surge protector?

10 years would be a good run for a combustion blower and a control board.

I have a nine year old Enviro Mini, and experienced exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. The problem proved to be the control board. So, the back story - original control board was damaged several years ago (don't ask, I did something very dumb when working on the stove), and the local stove shop replaced it with a spare from one their shop floor demo units. Who knows the service that board had seen, but we were desperate to get the stove running.

Several weeks ago following cleaning, the stove started fine but after running for a half hour or so it shut down completely - i.e. combustion blower, auger, and room distribution blower all shut off simultaneously with no flashing failure mode lights. I was able to get it re-started and in shut-down in a few minutes so as to keep the room from filling with smoke. Thoroughly re-cleaned the stove and flue pipe- no help. Cleaned the proof of fire sensor- no help. Checked the fire-box vacuum line for ash plug/leaks - no help. Bypassed the three major fail-safe sensors/switches to verify their integrity (proof of fire, over-temp, and fire-box vacuum) - no help, stove would still die after varying time intervals. That's when I bought a new control board and all went back to normal. I would follow the above suggestions of by-passing/checking all the sensors/switches to assure yourself they aren't the problem (and they are a cheaper fix), but don't be surprised if it finally proves to be a control board.

My failed control board looks good. No blown fuse, no scorched components, nada. Best of luck trouble-shooting.

Reactions: vinny11950
Also have a ten year old mini, about 30 tons run through it. Never had this sort of problem. Replaced the igniter this week, old one wouldn't get hot. Oddly, the old and new igniter ohmed out the same at 38 ohms. New one fired right up. $65 online through Amazon, local dealer quoted $175 to order one.

Have you tried unplugging the stove for 10 minutes or so, to reset the control? Also, check whatever tells the control that the stove is up to temp, be it a snap switch or thermocouple, and associated wiring. You may have disturbed it while cleaning. It sounds to me like the control doesn't sense the stove has fire, and shuts down.

I agree, you may have moved a wire off of the POF/low limit switch or the switch is bad. The switch is not sensing a flame/heat in the time that is programed and the stove shuts down. Unplug the stove bypass the switch, plug in, restart stove, if the stove runs without shutting down in 10 mins, then you may have a bad switch.

I have a nine year old Enviro Mini, and experienced exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. The problem proved to be the control board. So, the back story - original control board was damaged several years ago (don't ask, I did something very dumb when working on the stove), and the local stove shop replaced it with a spare from one their shop floor demo units. Who knows the service that board had seen, but we were desperate to get the stove running.

Several weeks ago following cleaning, the stove started fine but after running for a half hour or so it shut down completely - i.e. combustion blower, auger, and room distribution blower all shut off simultaneously with no flashing failure mode lights. I was able to get it re-started and in shut-down in a few minutes so as to keep the room from filling with smoke. Thoroughly re-cleaned the stove and flue pipe- no help. Cleaned the proof of fire sensor- no help. Checked the fire-box vacuum line for ash plug/leaks - no help. Bypassed the three major fail-safe sensors/switches to verify their integrity (proof of fire, over-temp, and fire-box vacuum) - no help, stove would still die after varying time intervals. That's when I bought a new control board and all went back to normal. I would follow the above suggestions of by-passing/checking all the sensors/switches to assure yourself they aren't the problem (and they are a cheaper fix), but don't be surprised if it finally proves to be a control board.

My failed control board looks good. No blown fuse, no scorched components, nada. Best of luck trouble-shooting.
Thanks! I suspect it is the control board too, given there are no flashing lights to indicate a failure mode.

Also have a ten year old mini, about 30 tons run through it. Never had this sort of problem. Replaced the igniter this week, old one wouldn't get hot. Oddly, the old and new igniter ohmed out the same at 38 ohms. New one fired right up. $65 online through Amazon, local dealer quoted $175 to order one.
Thanks!

I agree with Stovelark, if the combustion blower cuts out it is either the wiring, the control board or the combustion blower that is/are malfunctioning.

Use Johneh's links for troubleshoot. Additionally...

I would start by checking wires and connections, maybe wiggle the wires on startup and see if you can replicate the malfunction. Then inspect the combustion blower motor and see how well it is functioning. Is it overheating (does the motor body feel hot to the touch)? Is it making noises? How smoothly and easily is the fan turning (not sure if your model has the blades on the outside that would let you feel the rotational drag of the shaft)?

And lastly, the control board. Check the plugs and connections. If you can inspect the board without taking it out look for burned spots on the board, bulging capacitors. Remember to unplug the stove for this to avoid shorts and ground yourself first to avoid static charge damaging the board.

Is the stove on a surge protector?

10 years would be a good run for a combustion blower and a control board.
Thanks for the advice, just getting back to troubleshooting it. Yes, it's on a surge protector. The control board looks fine, but like I said, I unplugged the stove while it was running, wouldn't be surprised if the control board didn't like that...