Enviro P3 Exhaust Fan Turned on Suddenly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PIXYGIRL

Feb 19, 2022
Massachusetts
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group and pellet stoves. This is my first post, so here goes.
Last night as I was sitting on the couch near the pellet stove, I heard the exhaust fan for the Enviro P3 start running. Now mind you, the stove has not been run/turned on for at least a month due to warmer weather we are having. I got up to investigate. Found the unit was not powered on. The control panel just showed two lines, no numbers or codes. The unit is plugged in, but not powered on. I could definitely feel the vibration of the exhaust fan running. Looking through the glass in the door, I saw no movement at all. No air was coming out of the front vents, where the heat normally comes out. I felt the back of the unit for heat or vibration, and it felt like that was where the vibration was coming from, that's why I thought it was the exhaust fan running. Not sure on what to do, I unplugged the unit from the wall socket. I don't understand how this could happen. I bought the unit new from a local company and had it professionally installed by a man that works for that company. Bought/installed December 7, 2021
I'm hoping to find some answers from folks that know about this before I call the store I bought it from.
Thanks in advance,
Diane

PIXYGIRL, welcome to the forum. Several questions. Has there been any electrical storms or power outages lately? Any F-150's knocking down any telephone poles? (happens around here) And lastly, is the stove plugged into a surge protector?

Reactions: PIXYGIRL and johneh
What Abuswrench said but not necessarily an F 150 any car or truck will do
I'm thinking that the magic smoke has left the control board!

What Abuswrench said but not necessarily an F 150 any car or truck will do
I'm thinking that the magic smoke has left the control board!
I agree. When ever I shut my stove off for more than a couple hours, I always unplug it. Can't lose the magic smoke if you don't open the door!

Reactions: PIXYGIRL
Good evening all,
I do not have it plugged into a surge protector, I will do that.
There has been no power outages of any kind, or for any reason here.
Any other ideas are very welcome,
Diane

The control board controls the exhaust/combustion fan. With the stove shut off, no power should be going to the fan motor. If the fan motor is running, it's getting power when it shouldn't. So something on the control board is compromised. Being installed in December, it should still be under warranty. Does the stove still run?

My first thought was there was a minor power flicker. My stoves will go thru a "check" after such an event, but that only lasts for a couple of seconds (and that is with surge protectors). If the fan kept running after that check, is there a chance a door or hopper lid is open or not latched completely?

I have scheduled an appointment with the shops repair person. He did mention thinking the control board was malfunctioning, as one of you mentioned. Hopefully replacing that will fix the issue. So far, I think maintaining/working the wood burning stove has been easier for me by a long shot, here's to technology lol
Thanks again,
Diane