equipment to heat pool and spa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herbert

Aug 28, 2008
Michigan
www.buggy.com
Am shopping for a system to heat my spa and pool. They are both indoors in a heated area. It is an endless pool with approx 4500 gallons of water. I have looked at both the "cylinder" and "plate" style water to water exchangers , both supposedly designed to work with the chemicals used in pools and spa's.
Just bought a Taylor wood boiler with two water outlets. should the pool and spa be run on a seperate line as the furnace and water heater.

I have my hot tub set up as just another zone in my hydronic system. Mine is zone valve based, so I just plumbed another loop with a zone valve and a home-made HX for the hot tub. The zone valve is operated by the contacts of a 240vac relay that I wired in place of the original electric heating element.

I'd expect that you'd want the pool and the spa on separate zones so you can control each independently. If you have other zones, I would expect that you could create additional zones that are set up the same way and be fine.

In my case, I've added logic so that the hot tub is normally the lowest priority zone, but with the ability to temporarily override and make it the highest priority.

Do you keep your hot-tub up to temperature year-round? Do you use it year-round? What kind of freeze protection do you have in place, if any?

MrEd said:
Do you keep your hot-tub up to temperature year-round? Do you use it year-round? What kind of freeze protection do you have in place, if any?

We keep it up to temp during the heating season. We get it up to setpoint any time the boiler is operating, which is most evenings. During the summer we let it float to wherever it wants to be. No freeze protection, but we attached the pump access side of the tub to the side of the house and cut an opening through into the basement. Pump access is from indoors.

MrEd said:

We have been keeping ours up year round with electric. I have the circulation motors on timers. they both kick in for about 1 1/2 hours each 24 hours. During the time the circulation pumps are rummung , the electric heaters cycle until water temp is brought back to thermostat setting.
Bear in mind that the pool and hot tub are both indoors and the roomwe have them in is kept at 70 degrees , thus the heaters do not work real hard ( and never at the same time.
Now, i want to do the same thing with my wood stove. The wood stove will also be used on two furnaces in the 2000 square foot (well insulated home. I have decided i will need two water to water exchangers (Stainless steel cylinders or plate style ??) for the pool and hot tub. what else

PS i have everything i need to run thru the two furnaces--hot water heater--and clothes drier

nofossil said:
I have my hot tub set up as just another zone in my hydronic system. Mine is zone valve based, so I just plumbed another loop with a zone valve and a home-made HX for the hot tub. The zone valve is operated by the contacts of a 240vac relay that I wired in place of the original electric heating element.

I'd expect that you'd want the pool and the spa on separate zones so you can control each independently. If you have other zones, I would expect that you could create additional zones that are set up the same way and be fine.

In my case, I've added logic so that the hot tub is normally the lowest priority zone, but with the ability to temporarily override and make it the highest priority.

any chance of a drawing or schetch ? how dod you make the HX ? did you use stainless steel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.