Essex 1000 Multi Fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abryer

Jan 12, 2010
Peterborough, NH
Hi All,

I have an Essex MultiFuel 1000 and I am have some questions about how to set the draft inducer? My Draft Inducer has a small handle on it that controls a baffle allowing more or less air to be pulled through the stove. The unit operates but seams to plug (wood will not fall down) if i have the draft open more that say 1/3 of it's total movement. I see some other have some Essex boilers. where to you operate yours? or do you have this control?

I operate mine at a manometer value. The manometer is mounted on the boiler. I don't think you can just set it by rod length. The owner of Essex has recently told a couple of users not coke the damper (push the rod in). I like what I have, when I tested his idea my flue gas temperature was higher and my burn time was less.

Are your nozzle OK? If they are oversized (due to wear) you might have this problem.

hi. i just moved into a house with an essex 1000 multi-fuel furnace. the previous owner told me i could use oil or wood but i'm nit entirely certain how to go about using wood in it. do you know of a resource for manuals for this unit? i'm not having much luck tracking them down.

thanks
jeff

I talked with Manny at Essex a few months back and he told me to simply take the whole damper right out of the flue. I was a little reluctant to do so though. Its funny this topic was brought up today, yesterday while I was cleaning the Essex I reached into the flue and basically opened up the damper all the way. The unit seemed to get up to temperature very quickly and actually went into shut down mode which it hasn't been doing lately. The weather here is also a little bit milder than it has been. Flue temp was much higher it seemed, Like Steve says, I don't have a temp gauge but I'm usually able to rest my hand on the stove pipe for a second or two but last night it was super hot. Burn times seem fine loaded it at 9pm woke up at 12:30 checked it, temp was 185, got up at 5am just coals in the refractory temps around 145.

When was the last time you cleaned the Essex? I have noticed that the the chamber with the peep sight at the end gets filled quickly with ash. For me it takes about a week before I need to clean it out. I would make sure your refractory inserts are in good shape and that the holes in them are clear of debris and not caked with ash.

Jeff,

There are few guys on here that have been swapping manuals. I don't have one in pdf but if no one chimes in let me know and I can fax or mail you one.

I was in a similair situation as you when I purchased our home last year I had no clue how to use the Essex. Is the Essex oil side your primary heat source? If we can get you a manaul it will answer all your questions. They are not the hard to use but i'm finding there is a learning curve that just takes some time and patience. There are guys on here that have been using these units for 20+ years and are a wealth of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.