Everything Drolet Tundra - Heatmax...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
While Kuuma has been around for years, the furnaces were not always clean burning.

You may want to cite some sources for that claim. Even the very early Kuuma 1 was clean burning, just not computer controlled. It's the sole reason Daryl started in this business, he wanted a clean burning furnace which didn't require constant chimney cleaning. He claims he has not cleaned his chimney in over 30 years. They have been in current form at least since 2010. 10+ years prior to needing to be. They have EPA test results from early 2010 exceeding the overall 2020 standards. They just needed to re-test for the 4 different burn categories specific to the 2020 standard.

There's zero doubt that SBI can't replicate a furnace similar to the Kuuma, however they were just waiting till definite regulations hit before releasing a new furnace.

I know, this is the problem I have. It takes government intervention to force advancement when they could have simply done it on their own....to the benefit of all of us. I'm not doubting their ability, I'm doubting their lack of willingness to better the industry. It makes it even worse that they are a multi-million dollar company. These are the companies who should be leading the way with cutting edge technology, not waiting for the government to force them too. Maybe, just maybe, some aspects of government wouldn't be so big if these multi-million dollar companies would take more of an initiative to better the industry they serve.

Due to what SBI has available at their disposal, I'll be disappointed if they don't come up with something far exceeding that of the Kuuma. If they don't, are they just sandbagging and just doing enough to meet the standard while having something in their pocket for any future even stricter standard? We will never know, but they have the money and resources to do some really good things for the industry.....but will they? This is what endears me to Lamppa. He used his own personal limited resources for the advancement of the industry. I'm not even sure we would have the current 2020 warm air furnace standards sticking (at least so far) if Lamppa didn't show the world it could be done. Not saying others were not capable, but they were not willing. Instead of them using their money/resources to advance their own products, I'm sure some were using it to fight the legislation instead.

Last edited:
I gotta say, I do miss the "2-3 minute HX cleanings" you can do on the Caddy/Tundra design...that's awesome! (and the window too)

After watching a video of how this is done....it is pretty slick! I'd definitely be cleaning it more often if ours were that easy.

I don't think the kuuma 1 came close to current regulations or prior EPA regulations, but I could be wrong. Maybe I am assuming but it was from this post.

Either way, it's all about business and it comes down to the bottom dollar. Also you have to remember when other manufacturers were building a steel box with an air jacket, SBI or PSG started the line of Caddy's that they have today. Much the less....manufacturers fighting over the idea that a furnace couldn't be EPA certified ( those who know the threads know who I'm talking about). Just like Kuuma, the had gone above and beyond the competitors of the time.

I've been emailing drolet customer service. He told me "they bought all competing models and they did not measure up to drolet customer expectations. The new model will exeed these standards." (Paraphrasing here....)

He assured me that they are keeping the glass. He may have just been trying to tell me what I want to hear tho....

At this point I'm leaning toward waiting on the new model. If I don't like it there is always the Kuuma, or a used ???, or an indoor boiler even......

Unless I find a heavily discounted tundra before may 15! I don't expect this to happen because (a) few brick-an-mortar stores even have them (b) there's pretty good demand as it is, and (c) Drolet can sell off remaining inventory in Canada right? "We'll send you the new models, you ship us back the old ones...."

Reactions: Highbeam
After watching a video of how this is done....it is pretty slick! I'd definitely be cleaning it more often if ours were that easy.
This ain't a Kuuma thread, of course, but knowing might make me like my Tundra more: what's the hx tube cleaning like on the Kuuma?

This ain't a Kuuma thread, of course, but knowing might make me like my Tundra more: what's the hx tube cleaning like on the Kuuma?

It's not that hard, but it's definitely more time consuming.....and more messy compared to what you have to do. You just remove the hood, which slides off, remove like 10 bolts to remove the cover and then clean the flyash buildup off all metal surfaces. The stuff just falls off when you touch it, so that's easy, but there is a lot of area to do. I use a Skotch-Brite pad and basically just do a wipe over of all surfaces. In fall, when the stove pipe is removed, I also gain access through the flue collar to get what I can't get from the front.

I don't think it gets any easier for what you guys have to do though.

Kinda off topic of furnaces, just hoping everyone is doing well and staying safe during this crisis. I know one thing I am way ahead on firewood now after being off work so long.

I literally have not left the property since last weekend. Working from home and splitting/stacking wood is pretty much all I've been doing.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Kinda off topic of furnaces, just hoping everyone is doing well and staying safe during this crisis. I know one thing I am way ahead on firewood now after being off work so long.
If it would ever stop raining around here, I might be able to get some firewood put up. We only had a couple weekends this winter where the soil was frozen enough to take the tractor back to the woods. Luckily I have about a cord left over from this year to help with next year.

No shutdown for my wife or I, still going strong at work. Last sunday I processed a cord of wood. Yesterday I hauled 3 trailer loads of manure for the garden, and hoping to go out and cut wood again this weekend.

I'm not a fan of heat, so I do all my cutting and hauling in Dec, Jan and Feb. I love cutting on cold winter days. Then start my splitting/stacking as soon as all the snow is gone (and the ground lets me pound T-posts in) so I am done with it by the time things start warming up and the ticks/skeeters start coming out.

Here's this winters haul. Photo was taken a couple weeks ago on the 14th right before I fired up the splitter for the first time. I'm about 6.75 cord into it and have about another 2.5 to go or so. Should have about 9.5 cord by the time I'm done.

IMG_20200314_143140.jpg

Was on SBI's site, clicked on myfireplaceproducts.com, which I hear is basically the company store...anyways, they are having a decent end of season sale on stuff, plus free shipping, if anybody wants a T2, HP, etc.

Site says they are down to (40) T2's, (34) Heatmax's, and (15) Heatpro's
Never did find anything out about the 2020 model furnaces, which is what I went looking for to begin with...

Reactions: Highbeam
Was on SBI's site, clicked on myfireplaceproducts.com, which I hear is basically the company store...anyways, they are having a decent end of season sale on stuff, plus free shipping, if anybody wants a T2, HP, etc.

Site says they are down to (40) T2's, (34) Heatmax's, and (15) Heatpro's
Never did find anything out about the 2020 model furnaces, which is what I went looking for to begin with...
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out and probably order one. The more I read about the T2s the less patient I am of waiting for the new model. They told me September, but they were waiting on the EPA approval. It's anyone's guess on how long this coronavirus will delay that. Besides, they will most likely be marking them UP in September instead of down!

Besides, they will most likely be marking them UP in September instead of down!
Oh they wont be getting any cheaper, you can bank on that!

Is there any significant difference between the Heatmax 2 and Tundra 2? Only thing I can see is the Heatmax has fancier sheet metal IMO.
PS: I believe I will indeed order one or the other. That price and free shipping is too tempting. Add a couple hundred for temp controllers, etc and it'll be almost as good as the next model for $800? less.

I was going to wait for the next model, but i just don't think they will be that much better than a modded current one. Hope I'm wrong though! It's not like they'll reach 90% efficiency, cause the other 2020 models dont. (The 2020 Fire Chief/Shelter is almost the same as the previous one. No fundamental changes that I could observe.)

Only thing I can see is the Heatmax has fancier sheet metal
Bingo!
The only reason they did it was to give it a different SKU, that way the big box stores weren't competing with each other so much since they usually will only do that on identical model...that came straight from the SBI rep that used to hang out here back when the Tundra came out

Reactions: andym
Bingo!
The only reason they did it was to give it a different SKU, that way the big box stores weren't competing with each other so much since they usually will only do that on identical model...that came straight from the SBI rep that used to hang out here back when the Tundra came out
Thats what I thought. I like the sound of Heatmax as well, gives me a warm feeling. The name Tundra, not so much! (Where did that name come from anyway?)
Might have to flip a coi to decide! :)

Thats what I thought. I like the sound of Heatmax as well, gives me a warm feeling. The name Tundra, not so much! (Where did that name come from anyway?)
Might have to flip a coi to decide! :)
Just placed an order for the Heatmax2. The shipping was free except for a shipping surcharge of $3.71 because my "location is in a remote region." LOL! Thats hilarious! How did they determine that?
They (MFP) even threw in a pack of firestarters.

$3.71 for remote location ;lol
Why bother? ;lol
I personally like the look of the HM better...

Reactions: Case1030
I'm looking at temp controllers on ebay....will any PID controller with hi/lo alarms work? Is there a certain feature I should look for?
What kind of sensor do I need?

My new Heatmax2 arrived last night at 930! Didn't expect it so soon. I've got it unpacked and examined. I hooked up some chimney pipe so I can fire it up outside tommorrow. Not sure if I'll
20200402_192710.jpg
20200402_192710.jpg20200402_192710.jpg20200402_192447.jpg20200402_192655.jpgbe able to sleep tonight!!
Question: how far open should the damper door be when the switch is on? It looks like it would only be open half way. I took things apart and there doesn't seem to be anything binding anywhere. The position of the damper control rod did not match the manual, so i adjusted it. This didnt change the length of travel however. If I adjust it so it opens farther, then it will not close fully. (Pics below.)
Also: does anyone know what the +/- buttons are for on the back of the control box?
Edit: apologies for the mixed up post! My phone does not cooperate......

Last edited:
9:30!? That crazy.
The damper opening doesn't look bad to me...they don't open wide open...but I had a T1, so maybe someone with a T2 would be better to reply to this question...

9:30!? That crazy.
The damper opening doesn't look bad to me...they don't open wide open...but I had a T1, so maybe someone with a T2 would be better to reply to this question...
It was kinda late, but 50 hr shipping on a 665lb item is pretty quick.
I guess I'll find out about the damper.

The temp controller I'm looking at comes with a k-type sensor. Will this work?
(3fordasho lists a j-type on page ?16?)

Is this thread meant only for first generation Tundra\heatmax? I can start another thread with my questions on installing,etc........

It was kinda late, but 50 hr shipping on a 665lb item is pretty quick.
I guess I'll find out about the damper.

The temp controller I'm looking at comes with a k-type sensor. Will this work?
(3fordasho lists a j-type on page ?16?)

Is this thread meant only for first generation Tundra\heatmax? I can start another thread with my questions on installing,etc........