Exhaust Blower Motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbarcon

Feb 5, 2015
Arizona
Hi, I am hoping someone can help with this question. We have a QuadraFire Classic Bay pellet stove. The other day when it went to start up there was a loud humming noise and nothing happened. The noise was coming from the exhaust blower. I took the blower motor out and cleaned the blades put it back in and it was working for a few hours then the same thing. When it starts humming if you take your finger and spin the end of the motor it will start just fine and work for a while. Does this mean the motor needs to be replaced or is there something else we can do to fix this? These motors are expensive! Thanks in advance for any advice…

Does this particular motor require oil every six months? A lot of them do.

Yep then. Motor is tired.

I just went through this last month. Don't toss that motor..remove it and bring it to an Auto Electric shop where they rebuild starters/alternators, My guy installed new bushings and freshened up the motor for under $20. I reinstalled it and ordered a new one which is sitting on the shelf ready to install if/when it dies again. Been running nicely with the old motor for a month now.

My owners manual says nothing about oiling either. The manufacturer of these motors might state otherwise. They make money on replacement parts too. For example my PC45 has a Dayton Blower for the distribution blower. The manual for the 45 states nothing about oiling this unit.

However, the Dayton Blower installation and owners manual does. It says to oil it every 6 months and states what type of oil to use. I know we are speaking about two different blowers here but the Harman manual mentions nothing about oiling either. Just clean the ash and dust instead.

Search here because many do maintain said components other than what is recommended by the stove manufacturer's manuals. Obviously Dayton Blowers expects the dist. blower to get some periodic oil while Harman doesn't mention a word about it. Same likely holds true for Quads owners manual.

Beaudeen has a good point as well.

No oiling. They are sealed bearings. Either buy a new motor and fan or replace the bearings either yourself or have someone else do it. Bearings are a common size and available from Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

Reactions: kappel15 and bags
Thank you everyone for all the helpful information! I am passing on to my husband to see what he thinks, at this point it will run for several hours before I have to go over and help it get started again :) but I know eventually that will not work...

Status
Not open for further replies.