Exhaust blower shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catskinner

Jan 30, 2017
Skowhegan Maine
I have a Yankee pellet stove and the exhaust blower shuts down for apparent reason while stove is running. anyone have any suggestions as to why ? My stove is 10 years old and I am thinking it's the control board.

Welcome to the forum!
Try blowing the motor windings out with strong compressed air. Dust collects in there and the windings don't get cooling air and overheat. There is a thermal switch in there that shuts the motor off until it cools. This is the most likely culprit. You will probably have to take the motor out of the stove to do it right. Let us know how you make out.

Reactions: Catskinner
I have already done that and it made no difference but thanks . What I did yesterday is I checked the transition pipe from the stove to the chimney and found it had a lot of ash in it so I cleaned that out . The stove ran good last night, but I won't be convinced that it is fixed until it runs flawlessly a couple of more times . Thanks for you response it's greatly appreciated.

Glad you're running now! Was the pipe really badly clogged? I'm trying to figure out why the motor was stopping - I'm now guessing that the back pressure overworked the motor and it overheated...maybe.

Pressure switch might have been tripping if it couldn't exhaust enough air. Was the auger shutting down too?

Is the stove on a surge protector and have you had power outages/fluctuations lately? Would be a good indicator if it was the board...

Welcome to the forum!

So far so good it is running well and even burning cleaner , while I had the stove apart I also trimmed the vacuum hose some cause it was kind of brittle on the exhaust blower end . I also cleaned the nipple it attaches to.I would say that the pipe was close too halfway plugged.

Sounds like Lake Girl was right - loss of vacuum to the switch caused a shutdown. But, AFAIK, that would only stop the auger motor, not the combustion blower, as you would still need to exhaust the smoke. Curious...

Yes lake girl the auger was shuting down as well as the exhaust blower .I am going to run it some more tonight and see what happens. I have just recently bought this home and the pellet stove came with the house , I did a cleaning on the stove before I fired it up but neglected that pipe.

Surge protection is important as long as it is plugged in ... doesn't need to be operating. Many stove operation problems can often be traced to maintenance not being performed as it should. We'll cut you some slack 'cause you're a newbie:) Most stoves need a deep clean after about a ton of pellets... that means internal exhaust paths and exhaust venting, cleaning blowers (both but exhaust blowers need new gaskets usually). Search leaf blower trick ... if you choose to use this method remember to disconnect the vac switch!
Manual in case you don't have one: http://www.lopistoves.com/travisdocs/100-01156.pdf

Reactions: FirepotPete
Surge protection is important as long as it is plugged in ... doesn't need to be operating. Many stove operation problems can often be traced to maintenance not being performed as it should. We'll cut you some slack 'cause you're a newbie:) Most stoves need a deep clean after about a ton of pellets... that means internal exhaust paths and exhaust venting, cleaning blowers (both but exhaust blowers need new gaskets usually). Search leaf blower trick ... if you choose to use this method remember to disconnect the vac switch!
Manual in case you don't have one: http://www.lopistoves.com/travisdocs/100-01156.pdf

Thanks Lake girl I will check out the leaf blower trick it sounds interesting. Well the exhaust blower motor shut down on me again today , now I am wondering if I have the the air control open to much and it is overheating the motor ? . I've researched what the fire should look like and I have closed it up some .And thanks I have manual.

image.jpg

Does liner run up to the top of the chimney? Leaf blower trick won't work if it doesn't. Close neighbours may freak with the black cloud that forms too... better for rural applications!

When you cleaned the stove, did you remove the back wall of the firebox (page 34 of the Manual), the vertical exhaust with ports on each side behind the side panels (gaskets needed), and the exhaust blower (gasket needed there too)? I use a dryer lint brush on my vertical exhaust pathways and follow up with a tube snaked up there attached to shop vac attachment (use drywall bag for shop vac but make sure ash is cold).

Might also want to check door gasket...dollar bill test. Dollar or similar paper shut in door. If it can be removed easily, time to replace gaskets.

Does liner run up to the top of the chimney? Leaf blower trick won't work if it doesn't. Close neighbours may freak with the black cloud that forms too... better for rural applications!

When you cleaned the stove, did you remove the back wall of the firebox (page 34 of the Manual), the vertical exhaust with ports on each side behind the side panels (gaskets needed), and the exhaust blower (gasket needed there too)? I use a dryer lint brush on my vertical exhaust pathways and follow up with a tube snaked up there attached to shop vac attachment (use drywall bag for shop vac but make sure ash is cold).

Might also want to check door gasket...dollar bill test. Dollar or similar paper shut in door. If it can be removed easily, time to replace gaskets.