Expansion Tank Volume

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a practical point of view I would agree with Ed.
My expansion tank line is 1/2" copper and drops from ceiling to bottom of tank which is about 7&1/2'. By the time the water gets to the tank the temp has dropped considerably. Depending on the size of the expansion tank(s) volume, the incoming hot water will be diluted with existing tank water and would cool it more as well.

I have to chime in and ask a question. Alot of you have 1000 gallons of storage and use the biggest Extrol tank made which is the sx-160. It is 86 gallons with 43 acceptance. If this is the case 4% of total would be 40 gallons. My storage is 1140 gallons and I purchased the sx-160 also. Am I and all the 1000 gallon fellas running a very fine line of disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.