Extending flush hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Raoul

Aug 25, 2017
Tacoma, WA
While my existing setup seems to code it has been pointed out that it’s the bare minimum and I would like to have it demo’d and rebuilt.

The door on the Ashford definitely swings out pretty far and the setup makes me nervous. I would like to add at least another foot of depth to the hearth.

Any thoughts on what I ask to be done? I feel like the underneath is suspect. It may not be apparent from the attached photos but it’s thin and I am surprised it held the stove up when it was installed. Seems like it should be supported underneath.

Anybody know a contractor in South Puget Sound to reach out to?

2DB45B9B-8B26-467B-BD75-7DF9D87A6A55.jpeg EC1FBDAD-AC64-43C0-AFAD-A3A1E1A8D85E.jpeg 42A0971B-C0A2-420C-BA5E-EC01A5243ABD.jpeg 29422F44-B8A9-4CD3-BEC5-8BB6C3ABDC34.jpeg

Personally, I'd leave it as it is. The protection is generous.

As far as thinness and strength go it appears to have at least 4" of concrete below the tile. I see no evidence of stress or cracking and it probably has been in place awhile. I think your good there. You can have custom hearth rugs made if you want more piece of mind and ember protection. If you're burning doug fir I dont know if you'll ever get enough protection. that stuff likes to pop embers a long way. Just have to be careful and watch it.

As far as thinness and strength go it appears to have at least 4" of concrete below the tile. I see no evidence of stress or cracking and it probably has been in place awhile. I think your good there. You can have custom hearth rugs made if you want more piece of mind and ember protection. If you're burning doug fir I dont know if you'll ever get enough protection. that stuff likes to pop embers a long way. Just have to be careful and watch it.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Actually it tapers. Thickest near foundation and thins out towards the floor joists.
And yes it’s been this way for 100 years.

A wool rug and caution seem to be my moves until I find a contractor.

D9CC1140-3B0D-4041-AC3B-0828758566EC.jpeg 98E9A967-2B00-4888-9FF4-E1FDD23DEECB.jpeg

Last edited: