Failed Eko Model 25...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTWALL

Feb 2, 2013
Greene, NY
I purchased this wood boiler not quite seven years ago from AHONA at a cost of over $6500 (just the boiler)!
The boiler was meticulously maintained and cleaned every week when it was in use.
Water pH was monitored; the water drained from the boiler was crystal clear with no sludge or rust. AHONA verified boiler water was good.
My firewood is under cover, bone dry and consists mainly of hard and soft Maple.
I figure I got about 48 months actual use out of the boiler.
Early Sep 2016, I noticed a leak in the inner water jacket.
I cut an opening in the outer water jacket, then removed a section of the top and side of the inner water jacket. As the photo shows, the inner top metal is barely the thickness of a penny; the sidewalls are thin also. The outer water jacket measures the advertised 6mm. Not sure what material they used for the inner water jacket.
I can get a replacement Eko for $3400 delivered from New Horizon (they reduced the regular price as a result of the failure).
Over the past seven years, the Eko had numerous annoying design flaws (most of which I corrected). Replacement parts did not fit without an extreme amount of modification.

I really struggled with this...I looked at the Vigas. Lots of bells and whistles, but no assurance that it would last any longer than the Eko.

After a lot of thought and research, I decided to spend a little more and get a Glenwood (AMERICAN BUILT). So, my adventure with gasification boilers is over.

I would encourage anyone considering a gasser to really do your homework!
I am very disappointed in the Eko brand as well as AHONA for selling me this piece of overpriced crap in the first place.
Regards, JT Wall

eko fail_3.jpg
eko fail_2.jpg
eko fail_1.jpg
eko fail_2.jpg

Yes, disappointing I would imagine.

The penny pic, it almost looks like the steel wore from the inside of the firebox, from the waviness - if I'm seeing right. Are/were you running storage? Kind of curious what a similar cross section at the point of the leaking would look like. What part of the firebox was the actual leak in? Or could you tell exactly?

Yes, I have 300 gallons of storage; I would like more but simply no space for it.
The leak occurred below the weld of one stay between the water jackets.
Even when new, I noticed the water jacket on the top inside sounded "tinny".
Thickness near the leak was similar.
I noticed the waviness also...maybe a recycled Russian artillery piece?

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 196
I too wasnt very pleased with my eko 40. Very poor workmanship and quality. So I puchased a froling 40/50 should have done that from the beginning, should have never listened to my wife . cheaper is not better in the long run.IMHO.

I too wasnt very pleased with my eko 40. Very poor workmanship and quality. So I puchased a froling 40/50 should have done that from the beginning, should have never listened to my wife . cheaper is not better in the long run.IMHO.
I agree totally...welds are for crap!

Odd that the steel is wavy, certainly not an ASME product :) The leak wasn't due to the wavy steel, or a thin spot, but under a weld?

What is the warranty policy on EKO? Pro-rated?

There doesn't seem to be as much info about EKO Poland online anymore.

I met this gal at the EKO booth at a trade show a few years back. She told me if I ever had issues with their products to contact her. Looks like the address is linked to the dealer in NY, and the web address doesn't go anywhere.

Sorry about the expensive hassle.

Attachments

• File Sep 25, 4 52 54 PM.jpeg
    File Sep 25, 4 52 54 PM.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 175
Odd that the steel is wavy, certainly not an ASME product :) The leak wasn't due to the wavy steel, or a thin spot, but under a weld?

What is the warranty policy on EKO? Pro-rated?

There doesn't seem to be as much info about EKO Poland online anymore.

I met this gal at the EKO booth at a trade show a few years back. She told me if I ever had issues with their products to contact her. Looks like the address is linked to the dealer in NY, and the web address doesn't go anywhere.

Sorry about the expensive hassle.
Eko - 50% up to 7 years (Glenwood 100% to 20 years). But the metal is too thin and the entire unit would have to be disassembled to make it right. Not interested to building boilers!

Status
Not open for further replies.