Fake Stamps - Heads up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I have to admit, I got burned. I was in rush one day last year and needed some stamps for the holidays. I ordered some on line from what looked to be a US postal site. It wasnt, When I got the stamps, and saw the mailing address they came from I realized they were not legit. They looked legit but when I looked into it, counterfeit stamps are a thing. I never used them but up until today, in theory the mail would be returned. As of today, May 7th, the postal service will just throw the letters and packages away. The change is buried in this postal bulletin https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2023/pb22622/pb22622.pdf page 4, upper left hand paragraph.

From some other folks who got burned, the local postal clerks may or may not be able to distinguish them but auto sorted mail (almost all mail) do.

I have a large box of old low denomination stamps that are only worth face value (no collector value). On occasion I use them up. Some are from the seventies and expect they are not marked with the UV ink used to by the sorting machines to detect the fakes so I wonder if older envelopes stamped with old real stamps will get checked.

Reportedly, the post office isnt really trying really hard to deal with the counterfeiters who make and market these stamps.

Good to know. I have seen those scam ads popup now and again.

We always buy our stamps from the PO, or local grocery store. Zero risk there I'd say.

Reactions: Gearhead660
We always buy our stamps from the PO, or local grocery store. Zero risk there I'd say.
A few times this year our rural PO has been out of stamps! When that happened I ordered them directly from USPS, but there is a handling/shipping fee.

Plenty of times ours has been out of the standard stamps. But they always referred me to the higher priced special edition or fundraising stamps on the back wall.

There was also a time that they were not accepting forever stamps if the year used didn’t match the year on the stamp. Like some forever stamps I had from a few years earlier. Haven’t had that problem lately though.

I really can't remember the last time I actually mailed an envelope. Everything can be done electronically these days.

I really can't remember the last time I actually mailed an envelope. Everything can be done electronically these days.
My wife is opposed to that. She is not a cyber player.

Mostly yes. Probably just localized exceptions. In my old HOA, you still have to mail paper checks for the water bill and dues. And to enter the Oldsmobile show in Lansing this year, I had to dig out my checkbook and mail it as they wouldn’t take electronic payments.

I use a separate bank with a minimum balance in the account, for online purchases or traveling. In case it gets hacked. Knock on wood, that’s never happened. Meanwhile my main card has been compromised multiple times by use only at local businesses. So now that one gets a separate account too with minimum balance. Makes it inconvenient to transfer funds but at least it’s safer.

Last edited:
I dont write a lot of checks or send a lot of mail these days but the local towns are not set up for electronic payments, so its pay in person with a check or cash or send it by mail. The town where my wood lot is located has a part time town clerk that has two 4 hour office hours a week so not super convenient.