Feel a bit warmer Wood vs. liquid "wood" heat pressurized decayed sea plants, dead critters etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldLumberKid

Feeling the Heat
As we coast into the snowiest winter in New York / Long Island history, and one of the coldest I can remember, I am fairly certain I'll hit my oil minimum for the season.

We're at 489 Gallons x $3.55 = $1,709 of liquid "wood" used — heat pressurized decayed sea plants, dead critters n dinosaur bones, and other biomass, — which around here would buy you about five-to-eight 8' x 4' x 18" face cords at anywhere from $325 !!! to $175 :) bulk price, depending on where you buy. (I scrounge for the fireplace which I have not used much this season for various reasons.)

The oil co's like a customer to contract for a minimum of 600 gallons (which is probably more than I'd use in a warmer year) to get the oil "futures" price, versus the market price, which this year, went quite a bit higher for some folk, to around $4.45. Although non-contract C.O.D. oil is about $3.68.
https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Energy-D...ting-Oil/Average-Home-Heating-Oil-Prices.aspx

I calculate, in this bitchin cold winter, I've used about 163 gallons / month or $578/mo :eek: for 3 months. Not including gas fired hot water.

Should help make the case for an investment in an insert to the better half, maybe.

In the meantime, feel good about your stoves and all your hard work scrounging, sawing, hauling, and splitting, because it adds up to a nice savings.

The stuff below is kinda spensive:

fossilfuel.gif

Last edited:
Petrified wood, glaciers, fossels and fossel fuels. Interesting morning. All those numbers submitted by NYSERTA are fun to read thru but it all points to price gouging. It further argues in Off Grid living.
And Im starting to sound like my Vietnam era older brother.
I pray the wood burning industry stays unregulated. NYS is starting to impliment outdoor burning laws that I see as a civil rights invasion.
And the first step toward regulating firewood sales and useage.
Like legalizing POT in Colorado. Next will be firewood tax....

this is my first season with a insert last year in had spent almost 3k on oil this year less then 1k and last year was way more mild then this year. would not want to think of what it would have cost us if we didn't make the investment on a insert. its already more then half paid for by itself 3200 to buy n put in. we have 2500 sq Ft house too. was able to gt free logs dropped at house (had to c/s/s ) went through almost three cords already and doesn't seem to be getting any warmer anytime soon

Reactions: OldLumberKid
which around here would buy you about five-to-eight 8' x 4' x 18" face cords at anywhere from $325 !!! to $175 :) bulk price, depending on where you buy. (I scrounge for the fireplace which I have not used much this season for various reasons.)

The wood you are quoting is $900/cord because it is kiln-dried, bundled 'grocery store' wood. I suspect you can get CSD wood for a fraction of that cost, if you got tired of scrounging.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Status
Not open for further replies.