Fencing and chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I was cutting some really old Osage posts off my girlfriends land and hit a nail or wire with my saw. I looked at the chain and saw where it was nicked on some of the teeth but not really bad. My question is, do I try and make all the teeth the same length? Or just file it as good as I can and use it the way it is?

Thanks
Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I was cutting some really old Osage posts off my girlfriends land and hit a nail or wire with my saw. I looked at the chain and saw where it was nicked on some of the teeth but not really bad. My question is, do I try and make all the teeth the same length? Or just file it as good as I can and use it the way it is?

Thanks
Shipper
that's why I just go ahead and ruin the whole chain instead of just part of it. lol.

sorry I wasn't any help, I'll just hang around and wait for the answer.....

I would file it to sharpen each tooth only and not worry about cutter sizes, until you finish cutting in that area. Likely to find more steel and just damage more teeth some other area of the chain. Then when you are all done, make all the cutters the same by file or grinding.

There is a magnetic law of attraction, the newer and more expensive the chain, the more likely to find steel.

kcj

After feeling the nail or wire, I got to looking more closely and just decided to stop. The posts are at least 30 years old or more. The trees are at least 75 years old and hard but cut able.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:

Thanks
Shipper

shipper it may be cheeper to take that to the dealer then use up a bunch of files and they can set up to the right lenths and rakers

Shipper50 said:

Thanks
Shipper

I don't sweat the length, just make sure every tooth is sharp.

I don't sweat the length either. The last chain I took to the dealer was ground half away and had been blued by the grinding wheel. Never again.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I don't sweat the length either. The last chain I took to the dealer was ground half away and had been blued by the grinding wheel. Never again.

Matt

Bring it to me there will be no blue and it will be fast

I would take off just enough to make all the teeth sharp... Maybe save that chain for use on "suspect" wood after that... I know that the experts say to make all the cutters the same length, but I haven't found it to be a big difference, and would rather not waste more of the good cutters than I have to.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.