Fighting catalytic converter theft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
It seems catalytic converter theft is becoming a “thing” in our wider area. If you spend a few seconds on Google trying ti understand why, you’ll find nearly every site reports something very similar to this:

Thieves steal catalytic converters because the metals found inside the devices are valuable and also because they are easy to steal. Catalytic converters have one or more of three precious metals: platinum, palladium, and rhodium. However, the prices of these precious metals have risen in recent years.

So, we would assumed a sophisticated buyer/recycler, if they’re actually disassembling these things to scavenge for mineral content. You’re not going to pull sputtered palladium off a ceramic substrate and collect it successfully and efficiently without some pretty expensive and specialized equipment, making me think that finding and shutting down the customer chain of these street thrives would have to be pretty easy.

Auto recycling yards are likely the vector for these things, between their and component recycler, and it wouldn’t be very difficult to target those buying these converters from thieves. So why is this still a problem?

Ohio has "cracked down" on converter theft...supposedly none of the legit yards will buy them...and yet my brother and co-worker both were hit last year. My driveway is pretty short, and I park close to the road...I fully expect to come out some morning and hear that tell tale roar when I go to leave for work....

Ughh... what a nightmare. How much damage do they do during removal? I can't imagine they're carefully undoing rusty flange bolts, but rather cutting the connector pipes on either side. Likely a $1500+ repair bill.

On the flip side, the thief is in a mighty vulnerable position, while executing the job. With my ring camera notifying me anytime anyone sets foot in my driveway, I'd neuter first, ask questions later.

The only way to stop the thefts is remove the market. Maine passed a law that during the annual inspections the Cat gets engraved with the VIN. If anyone is caught with loose cat with no VIN or proof of ownership its presumed stolen. Firms that buy them have to keep proof of the source (copy of title). There are various shields and guards that can slow down thieves but the folks ripping these things off are mostly unemployed druggies. Take away the market for them and they will move on to the next theft.

We lost a perfectly good F250 to a cat thrift. It was $2500 to buy a replacement cat and the truck was over 20 years old. Scared the crap out of me hearing the V10 roar without back pressure.

WA State was the highest in the nation for cat theft in 2021. Some cars have the cat located where it's super easy to remove. 2 minutes tops for an expert. I'm glad our Volt's cat is buried up closer to the engine and a pita to remove.

As of July 2022, there is a new law in place. According to the law, mechanics and workshops must sign the motor vehicle ownership documentation to sell a catalytic converter. It's too early to get stats on how well the law is working, but anecdotally the reports of local cat theft are way down.

Anyone can pick up a cheap engraver on Amazon and engrave their VIN on the cat. The moron who steal it may not care or notice but anyone in the market to purchase the cats will probably not buy it as its now marked. Sure they can grind it off but the act of grinding it implies that its probably stolen. The hassle is with the big push in some areas to reduce police, property crimes like this are being ignored.

I'd only get close enough to distribute some birdshot in they azz
As tempting as it is, I'd advise against it. Makes you an easy target for a lawsuit from a dirtbag like that.

One of the many stories I wish I could go back and ask my grandfather, is about him getting shot in the ass with rock salt. Heard just that punchline once as a pre-teen, but either forgot or never got the full back-story.

There a a video going around where someone mounted razor wire on frame from drain pan to the end of the transmission to protect the cat.

I cut my own out, nothing for the thieves to steal now.

5 or 6 years ago it was a big issue here, it was traced back to one scrap yard buying the stolen parts, word got out on social media and long story short they closed up shop.

Copper is another story, on remote oil well sites if it's not energized it's gonna get stolen. Grounding cable goes missing daily. Even been a few instances of thieves cutting live cable, one was over 4000volts. Not sure if they lived, and not sure I care. But there was only one cut in the cable, and nothing was taken.

I remember reading that the biggest buyer of the stolen cats was china. There were shipping containers filled with cats getting shipped to china

I remember reading that the biggest buyer of the stolen cats was china. There were shipping containers filled with cats getting shipped to china
Maybe true, but there's been no indicating they're sending people here to climb under our cars and execute the removal. I do believe eliminating the path to the middle man (the scrap yard) is still the path to stopping this, and I'm really impressed with @peakbagger's description of Maine's new laws regarding this. Perhaps it's time to lean on our own respective state lawmakers to follow their course.

My daughters cat was stolen last year from a train station parking lot. Dang crime ridden mass transit!

Anyway, with aftermarket cheap walker parks it was over 2500$ to get her back on the road. Her new exhaust is not as nice as OEM Honda.

In her case they unbolted it from the exhaust manifold and cut it near the rear axle. Stole a full 6’ of exhaust system.

Was fun driving her car to the shop with an open exhaust right at the firewall!

Engraving or painting orange doesn’t work. Scrap yards pay cash to any tweaker with a cat. No questions asked. At least before the new law that begreen mentioned. Cops can’t even chase them due to our state’s no pursuit laws.

Luckily my old 2000 F350 never had a cat.

Thieves particularly like transit parking lots because they are unattended and the cars are there for 8-12 hrs every day. An 80% decline in thefts is reported in the Spokane area with the new law in place. This reflects what we have been seeing locally.

Reactions: Ashful