Firebrick for Tarm Solo Plus MK-II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MandoLinda

Dec 8, 2017
New Hampshire
Hello, I have an older HS Tarm Solo Plus MK-II. It has been a workhorse, but the slot at the floor of the firebox (wood magazine) where the gasification magic happens has eroded and needs to be replaced (see photo). Unfortunately, I do not own the "newer" model where the floor can easily be replaced in two sections. I received an estimate to replace it several years ago to the tune of $1500.00. I'm wondering if I have less expensive options:

1. Purchase the two sections of replacement floor meant for the newer models and place directly over existing floor?

2. Purchase firebrick to narrow the slot and cement in place with furnace cement?

3. Any other options? $1500+ is a ton of money for me. Thanks for your input.

MandoLinda

Firebox.jpg

You could get some cast-able refractory and pour your own.
Just get the measurements for the nozzle and make a mold to get it right.
By the looks of it you would have to chissel out a fair bit to get a good thickness to hold up to the abuse.

Refractory cement is not cheap $1,500 labor and materials seems like a fair price ! There's a big learning curve to making molds and pouring your own refractory !

You could get some cast-able refractory and pour your own.
Just get the measurements for the nozzle and make a mold to get it right.
By the looks of it you would have to chissel out a fair bit to get a good thickness to hold up to the abuse.
Thanks for the prompt response; I appreciate it.

I got a bag refractory and a bag of stainless steel needles from a company that specializes in products for high heat,forges,ect.
It wasn't to bad of a price at the time.
My plan was to make a mold for my nozzle and cast my own, mailing a chunk of concrete across the states is not cheap anymore

Did you get that price from Tarm Biomass or what ever it's called now? They have the stuff listed online and for what I thought was less than that but If you're talking having them come and install it no doubt would be more.