Fired up my M55 for the first time!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chanlon1974 said:
ok, there is a small blue block with two screws in it. There are two red wires running to the back of the stove for the thermostat hook up.

Ayup, now do me a favor and find a short piece of wire, strip the insulation off of both ends and insert it into the thermostat hook up. Do this with the stove off, cold, and unplugged.

Then fire up the stove and put it to firing rate 3 and wait for it to exit startup.

Yeah I know shouldn't have to supposedly, etc ....

You may be looking at a defective switch etc ... on the controller.

I'm mostly worried about the very light smoke I saw radiating from the hopper and side. Did this happen to anyone when first starting up? Is it the paint getting hot? I shut the stove down, I don't want to endanger my family if its exhaust. The odor is pretty strong like new paint heating up. I know the exhaust was run correctly, so not sure why this would be happening.

chanlon1974 said:
I'm mostly worried about the very light smoke I saw radiating from the hopper and side. Did this happen to anyone when first starting up? Is it the paint getting hot? I shut the stove down, I don't want to endanger my family if its exhaust. The odor is pretty strong like new paint heating up. I know the exhaust was run correctly, so not sure why this would be happening.

Oils and paint curing is the most likely thing, these units should be fired up for a test run and paint curing outside of the house.

I burned mine in with the windows wide open on an August day. I left the building and my wife was at work.

Yeah I will have to open the windows when I get the thing running right. I thought thats why the dealer was giving it a pre-burn. I guess it was just to make sure everything worked. I got the jumper on now and just started it on level 3. Standby!! haha

Seems to be running pretty well. The flame does vary, tall to behind the burn pot and comes back up which I guess is normal. Flame seems to be dancing at the right speed.

Ok, I would call your dealer on Monday and tell him what you ran into and ask him about how that switch is supposed to work.

I don't have the manual that came with your stove so I really can't say much.

While I think of it you said you were confused about the settings, that stove has both a feed rate (heat level, firing rate) and feed trim (which makes minor changes in the amount of fuel delivered at any given feed rate). This gives you a means to match up the fuel to air ratio to get a very good burn.

Just for the hell of it, I turned the stove off after letting it run mostly all day. Let it cool down for a few hours. Took the jumper off. Started it back up. It seems to be running fine. Still have the strong newness odor to it though. The dealer is going to call me either tomorrow or Tuesday. I might have him come look at just for the hell of it to make sure everything is ok.

chanlon1974 said:
Just for the hell of it, I turned the stove off after letting it run mostly all day. Let it cool down for a few hours. Took the jumper off. Started it back up. It seems to be running fine. Still have the strong newness odor to it though. The dealer is going to call me either tomorrow or Tuesday. I might have him come look at just for the hell of it to make sure everything is ok.

As long as that odor is chemical and not a wood smoke smell it will be there until the paint has completely cured and it won't be completely cured until the stove has been fired at high temperature for a bit. Every time the stove's shell reaches a new high temperature it will emit more odor.

With mine I burned it at 5 until me and the dog were medium to medium well with no pink remaining and the smell went away after three or so hours. If no wood smell all is good. The paint smells horrific though. Glad you got that bad boy running.

Status
Not open for further replies.