Firemizer..anyone try one??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saydinli

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2016
Near Fergus Ontario
So I was browsing at my local TSC store and noticed a product called Firemizer they had on the shelf this year . Has anyone tried it? I wonder if it provide any benefit in an EPA stove? Seems like it would be well suited for an open fireplace or an older smoke dragon.

3480170d92df1c1878bb610bdfa5377a.jpg

I am not sold on the concept but all my stoves over the years didnt have grates.

You aren’t supposed to use a grate in a woodstove. Especially not in an EPA stove.

I see now it’s not a grate. It looks even more worthless than a grate! How could that be of any use? ;lol

Heck, there’s no need to even replace the ashpan gasket, just use one of these!

It's not a grate, it's a sheet of stainless woven fabric. In theory it works to slow down air flow thru the bottom of the fire in grated stoves. These grated stoves are more common in Europe and the EU where it was invented. Totally worthless in a modern EPA stove. I'm surprised TSC is selling it here.

So after reading their FAQ's, it appears that the stainless steel mesh that you build you're fire on will get really hot and assist in the burning.

Based on the life expectancy of the mesh and a cost of about $30-40 , I cannot see it saving you much if you burn 24/7

"How do I use it?

The beauty of Firemizer is its simplicity!
Simply place the Firemizer grid on the base of your stove or hearth and build your fire on top by adding your firewood or coal as usual. As soon as you start the fire the Firemizer grid will begin to heat up quickly. This is where the savings commence!
Firemizer will typically last up to 500 burning hours, which is equivalent to 6 weeks if used for 12 hours per day.
As Firemizer will ensure the fuel is burnt more thoroughly, there will be a considerable reduction in the amount of ash produced and any ash that is left will be a very fine powder with no lumps in it. This fine ash can simply be dusted off before each new fire
."