Fireplace Facade Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Janay

Sep 30, 2022
We are currently in the process of removing our old brick fireplace facade and preparing for a hearthstone wood burning insert. We have been slowly removing the brick and have discovered a section with insulation behind the brick. We don't understand the purpose of this, but it does explained why we were getting a smokey smell in the house when we did use the fireplace. I'm curious if anyone could eplaine the reason behind this so we can properly replace the facade with stacked stone. I have included pictures of what we started with and where we are currently. Thank you for any help in advance.

20220818_125238.jpg 20220930_065659.jpg 20220930_090632.jpg 20220930_090622.jpg

There are other potential reasons for the smoke smell including poor fireplace design, negative pressure, improper chimney sizing, poor chimney location, etc.

How tall is the chimney on this fireplace? What is the ID of the chimney? Is there a smoke shelf above the damper? What kind of cap does it have? Is there a second flue in this chimney?

We are currently in the process of removing our old brick fireplace facade and preparing for a hearthstone wood burning insert. We have been slowly removing the brick and have discovered a section with insulation behind the brick. We don't understand the purpose of this, but it does explained why we were getting a smokey smell in the house when we did use the fireplace. I'm curious if anyone could eplaine the reason behind this so we can properly replace the facade with stacked stone. I have included pictures of what we started with and where we are currently. Thank you for any help in advance.

View attachment 299640 View attachment 299641 View attachment 299642 View attachment 299643
Why are you removing the face in preparation for an insert? It's not abnormal at all to have insulation in areas like that and as long as the masonry structure was built properly it should pose no hazard at all

Why are you removing the face in preparation for an insert? It's not abnormal at all to have insulation in areas like that and as long as the masonry structure was built properly it should pose no hazard at all
Yes, I couldn't see how that was the problem. The change sounds cosmetic. They're changing the look to stacked stone.

Reactions: bholler
Yes, I couldn't see how that was the problem. The change sounds cosmetic. They're changing the look to stacked stone.
Oops I missed that