Fireplace finishing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
Fireplace installation is done. See picture below. I am having a mason do the stone finish tomorrow. He is a mason who does building outdoors. I am using him for my fireplace finish. The picture below shows a white board with message "Warning fire risk! No wood, drywall or combustibles on this surface". So can he install stone over this or would he need to leave this white showing?

IMG_20210831_091402.jpg

Fireplace installation is done. See picture below. I am having a mason do the stone finish tomorrow. He is a mason who does building outdoors. I am using him for my fireplace finish. The picture below shows a white board with message "Warning fire risk! No wood, drywall or combustibles on this surface". So can he install stone over this or would he need to leave this white showing?

View attachment 281469
There is a section in the installation manual that covers this extensively. The joint between the white non combustible board and the Durock needs to be done using high temp materials to prevent cracking . After that, Non combustible materials can be applied but there are limits on how much it can overhang the firep[lace opening and how thick the material may be. It is all in the manual.

The section between the white and top will have stone as will the full front. I also know mantle clearance dimensions. The question was specifically about the white material and what would go on top of this. I now know that stone can go on top of it.