Fireplace Gas Valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bill443

Jan 31, 2021
Maryland
I am new to this forum.I have a Astria Aries natural gas fireplace model CB40TENBR.This winter season I could not able to ignite the fireplace as no pilot flame despite ignitor spark working.I got a Tech to come and check it out.He checked it and said no gas is coming and gas valve is bad and need to be replaced.I asked how much it will cost and he said 450 dollars for gas valve and 700-900 dollars labor.I was surprised with the high amount and told him I will not agree.He charged me 109 dollars for diagnosis.I did my own research and find cost of gas valve is 142 dollars.I am a little handy person and looked YouTube and feel able to replace the gas valve.I have never did it before.Any recommendations .Do you think it is DIY project.

How old is this unit? Have you tried clearing
out the small pilot tube that leads from the
gas valve to the pilot assembly? A can of
compressed air will do the trick.

As I said HVAC tech who diagnose the problem told me he checked out everything including board etc but no gas coming so valve need to be changed.

What is the manufacturer & model of the valve?
There are tests that can be performed to verify
if they are good or bad. I wasn't there, so I don't
know exactly what that "HVAC Tech" did to come
to that conclusion.
I will ask again, how old is this unit?

It is only 5 years old.Brand new home construction in 2015.Over the years use occasionally.
Astria Gas Fireplace
Model Aries CB40TENBR

I am sending the picture.

Attachments

• 545082A4-597C-426E-9B14-10B6B461FC37.png
    545082A4-597C-426E-9B14-10B6B461FC37.png
    379.1 KB · Views: 190
Just curious did you see him actually pull out a volt meter and manometer. You would not believe the amount of professionals that diagnose bad valves incorrectly. That is what Daksy is trying to help you with. It could simply be a blocked burner line or nozzle orifice. Or no voltage going to the valve. Or it actually could be a bad valve. Either way I probably would have had the new valve in under 2 hrs,$200 labor maybe $200 for valve. Guys taking you for a ride.

Reactions: DAKSY
Yes I would be ok with that amount but guy gave me whopping bill saying 450 dollar for valve and 700-900 for labor.I did not agree for that.I have posted the picture of the valve,it has two connections with wires which I can take out.Than remove small metal tubing going to pilot,than using two wrenches disconnect two lines going in to valve and finally took valve off the holding bracket by unscrewing the small nuts.Put back new valve same way,checking for gas leak after putting the valve.Anything else I need to do.
No I do not know what he did or not as I was at work but he called me that he checked everything including electric circuit/board and no gas coming out so it must me gas valve.He did say it is unusual that gas valve go bad but it can happen.

Here is the gas valve available on stove-parts-unlimited.com
Mountain View Hearth Products

Attachments

• 379C9928-D32D-4163-AF24-24556B8A4B66.png
    379C9928-D32D-4163-AF24-24556B8A4B66.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 184
If you really want to replace the valve then knock yourself out. Only you can answer if you are competent to do it. Gas not coming out of the burner is not the same thing as gas not coming out of the valve if you get what I am saying. I would shut off the gas and disconnect the burner line from the valve to the burner and check the entire thing for a spider nest.... Before ordering a valve

Reactions: DAKSY
Yes I got what you are saying but that is what I paid the guy to check for me.He claim to be a HVAC tech,give me the receipt for the diagnostic work with model number of the unit.I find him on google in my area.Seems to be a reasonable person but who knows.I called Astria Fireplace dealer in my area and they say will charge 279 to come out and check and if valve need to be changed than charge me 600 dollars plus valve cost.279 is on top of it though he did say will give me some discount on the labor charge of 600 if gas valve need to replaced.
Now I am in a dilemma to spend that much or take a chance and replace valve myself and hope for the best.Remember I have already spend 110 dollars.Now the diagnosis is correct or not,I do not know.Is there any way to check if valve is bad.I saw on you tube with a Gas manometer guy was checking gas pressure by unscrewing the inlet screw on the valve,putting 1/4 inch hose nosel and checking the pressure on manometer which should be around 8 in natural gas fireplace valve.

I got a little ahead of myself and reread your post that you have no pilot flame. I was focused on the burner flame. But same principal. I would want to make sure you are getting voltage to the pilot and certain that there is no gas coming out of the pilot discharge on the valve. Pilots can get clogged with carbon, dust, bugs. If it truly is a bad valve which it might be it's not that complicated to swap out.

So should I go ahead and order the valve. Anything else I need to know or order along with Gas valve. Do I need to check gas pressure after I installed the new valve. Do any of you have any video for gas valve installation or any other resource which I should review before I install the Gas valve.

So should I go ahead and order the valve. Anything else I need to know or order along with Gas valve. Do I need to check gas pressure after I installed the new valve. Do any of you have any video for gas valve installation or any other resource which I should review before I install the Gas valve.
Sure. If you buy a new valve and install it and it still does not work then you will know it wasn't the valve....

Ok I got the gas valve replaced but still no pilot light and burner not lighting up.I clean around the pilot nozzle.So what should I do now.

When the pilot is sparking, does the control send power to the pilot solenoid?(the red one) Pull the wire off, and test voltage. Put one of your test leads against gas valve, the other on the Wire.

Last edited:
Ok which wire I took out.As you see in the picture above in the thread of valve,one wire is orange color and other is green.How much voltage should I expect to see.

^^^ this. You essentially just changed your cars engine without checking if the battery was dead. You are asking for help on this forum so you should ignore everything your service tech said. You need to check voltage to the valve first. You need to check gas to the valve first. Diagnostics then parts.

Leave the wire attached. You should be able to get your probe onto metal. Set meter for 2vdc. You will see an initial voltage iirc of 1.5ish, then drop down to a lower maintenance voltage .400 volt ish...

Check the other end of that wiring harness as well

Ok I check the voltage with sparking and at 2.5 setting it is at 1 and at 0.5 meter setting it is at 2 and when sparking goes off than drops to zero.