First chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I consider seasoned and dry to be the same thing. Are you proposing that letting the logs lie in the rain before covering them to dry out helps?

I consider seasoned and dry to be the same thing. Are you proposing that letting the logs lie in the rain before covering them to dry out helps?
With Doug fir yes. Woods like cotton wood, maple, alder etc. absolutely not. They turn into styrofoam. But heavy sap woods that create a lot of creosote, yes. Exception’s would be hemlock or anything that goes to heck once it seasons. Most of the locals in my rural logging area agree with this.

I believe any wood that’s seasoned before it’s dried will create less creosote but can significantly decrease the burn times in some species.

I believe any wood that’s seasoned before it’s dried will create less creosote but can significantly decrease the burn times in some species.
I've been burning doug fir for close to a decade. It doesn't create excess creosote. Too cool flue temps are what causes creosote to condensate. Creosote is formed when the flue gases drop below 250º. I keep our (probe) flue temps at about 400-600º during the outgassing phase of the burn. Our flue system typically goes 2 yrs between cleanings and gets about a cup of soot and sote. The burn time on my stove is pretty much the same whether burning doug fir or maple and maybe a bit shorter than when burning madrona or locust. In mild weather, it's 12-14 hrs. In cold weather, I bring that down to 8 hrs.

Reactions: Nealm66

Well of course wet wood burns slower, you have to burn out the water first. But it gives off much less heat because you spend BTUs boiling water instead of giving off heat. You get more heat out of dry wood and if your not aware of that then you haven't burned dry wood because once you do you will never go back.

Ya, I probably have it wrong but it’s what I’ve been taught and follow. Seasoned wood definitely breaks down and burns differently. If you’re not having any problems with dry green wood then all is well

Reactions: Highbeam
Well, ok. But what if the op let his wood season for a year out in the elements and then dried it and stopped having the creosote problem without changing his burning habits. Maybe I have it all wrong but I’m not alone. And I definitely admit I only have experience with local woods but if I have a choice ( which I do) I will take the sound standing snag for firewood before I cut down a green tree. But again, I’ve probably been doing it wrong all along. Just what I’ve been taught and what I’ve determined to be true.

Well, ok. But what if the op let his wood season for a year out in the elements and then dried it and stopped having the creosote problem without changing his burning habits. Maybe I have it all wrong but I’m not alone. And I definitely admit I only have experience with local woods but if I have a choice ( which I do) I will take the sound standing snag for firewood before I cut down a green tree. But again, I’ve probably been doing it wrong all along. Just what I’ve been taught and what I’ve determined to be true.

As though the rain washes away the creosote forming elements of Douglas fir?What the heck is dry green wood? How do you get that?

Since building a wood shed I have been loading it with split green wood and waiting over 2 years to burn it. It’s a 12% moisture this way. Is that green dry wood? It’s certainly not grey like driftwood.

Maybe you see value in greyed out wood that is also dry. It gets grey if you leave it exposed to sun and rain but not so much in a shed.

Um?
Either my 5 weeks fishing in the keys have me befuddled. Possible if not completely likely:p
Or your post makes zero sense.
No offense as I do enjoy your contributions here.

Um?
Either my 5 weeks fishing in the keys have me befuddled. Possible if not completely likely:p
Or your post makes zero sense.
No offense as I do enjoy your contributions here.

Maybe he is talking about putting salt and pepper on his splits before stacking them. Only way I can think of seasoning wood before drying it!

He is just talking about letting it sit in conditions that do not dry it much, before actually drying the wood.

This is the problem of using terminology (seasoning) without clear definitions.