First fire in rehab'd BIS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qyota

Dec 8, 2014
northern mn
Work is done rejuvenating an older BIS model 1. Fully cleaned, new brick, new baffle, new log rack, etc. I thought a small fire was in order. Draft was decent, and when it got going, it burned hot and fast. Air was whistling past the door seam (between the doors). I will likely need to find a seal for that. Anyway, it's a success!

2419acca426074ea5282e663eef05b41.jpg

14618b301aa2d5c09bba32a2d31166f1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: T-roy_ and pen
Always nice when a project comes together! Enjoy. Where in N. Minn?

Bemidji. We're looking forward to our first snow of the year (quite late in the season) tonight. 6-10 inches, more in some areas.

Just watched the weather. Its on the way for you guys. Spent many years riding up that way with sleds. Snowmobiling has slipped down a few notches of importance. Heading to the Flo. Keys Dec. 1 fishing for awhile with a buddy from Moose Lake! He still thinks I'am nuts living in a cornfield! And I am. You guys live in really nice territory. I miss it. 70+ here today_g

Two more successful fires in the BIS this weekend. I'm actually impressed at the heat coming from it, and from the passive/convective ducts at the top. I made a gasket for between the glass doors, and that seems to be working well. Even with both air adjusters shut completely off, the fire has plenty of air to work with. I can basically shut it all the way down shortly after the fire is going. While that sounds great, it means I have no control after that point, should the fire get out of hand. Not sure I have any choices here other than to load a bigger split to try to slow the burn.

Looks nice. Also looks hungry! I'd be studying how to regulate the intake air somehow a bit. I am thinking a couch or chair in front of that and it would soon be lights out!

Yes, the air control seems to be worthless. Fully closed, the fire blasts. Not sure where else it can get air. Perhaps the glass gaskets are toast? That's all I can think of.

I got the top of the box to 600F with just a few small splits tonight. Air coming out of the "gravity vents" was about 275F. Those 4 small splits are just about gone after 1 hour. The wood is quite dry, yes, but I can't get this thing damped enough, it seems.

Changed the glass gasket/seal on my stove tonight. Huge differance in burn control. I had a 4" piece that had come loose. Must have been that way for a long time. Really impressive how low I can get the stove to run now. Wish I would have noticed this a long time ago!

OK, that's my next step. I'll likely have to cut down some 1/8" flat gasket, since I can't find OEM stuff anymore.

Two more successful fires in the BIS this weekend. I'm actually impressed at the heat coming from it, and from the passive/convective ducts at the top. I made a gasket for between the glass doors, and that seems to be working well. Even with both air adjusters shut completely off, the fire has plenty of air to work with. I can basically shut it all the way down shortly after the fire is going. While that sounds great, it means I have no control after that point, should the fire get out of hand. Not sure I have any choices here other than to load a bigger split to try to slow the burn.

Another BIS 1 owner here also trying to control the intake air. Could you explain what you used for a gasket between the doors?
Also, I've previously used 5/8" gasket rope for the doors just because it seems to be the right size for the channel but I'm wondering if I should try using 3/4" to give a better seal. At http://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.com/bis-1-2-door-gasket/ a 3/4" gasket is displayed for the BIS 1.2 however nothing is shown for the BIS 1.0.

Welcome! Nice to see another BIS in action. I think I used 3/4" rope on my doors...might have even been 7/8". I just took the old rope out and tried to find the best match at the store. The doors seem to seal well. I do need to replace the glass gaskets, however, as they appear to be worn out. That's a much trickier find, as it's very small stuff. I found some 1/8" flat fiberglass tape that I'm using between the doors, that might just work around the glass...haven't tried yet. I anticipate fighting the screws that hold the glass panels in.

Reactions: burntwood
Welcome! Nice to see another BIS in action. I think I used 3/4" rope on my doors...might have even been 7/8". I just took the old rope out and tried to find the best match at the store. The doors seem to seal well. I do need to replace the glass gaskets, however, as they appear to be worn out. That's a much trickier find, as it's very small stuff. I found some 1/8" flat fiberglass tape that I'm using between the doors, that might just work around the glass...haven't tried yet. I anticipate fighting the screws that hold the glass panels in.

Thanks qyota. I'm going to redo my doors with 3/4. I used 3/8" for the glass panels. Seems to be the right size. I don't recall having any difficulty with the screws.

glass gasket.JPG door gasket1.JPG door gasket2.JPG

Oh, I should also update that I removed the log rack that I thought I needed. It only contributed to a too-fast burn rate. With firebrick on the floor of the BIS, and a layer of coal/ashes, the fire breathes just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.