first flue cleaning Jotul F 500 eco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prometeo

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2022
IT
A bunch of creosote! The difference, with the clean flue I had difficulty lighting the stove, the smoke was reversed, it didn't happen with creosote, but now I can open the door to throw more wood without problems, first smoke came out!

IMG_20240203_152933.jpg

I think the next step is to determine why you are not burning clean. Wet wood? Or running too low?

Reactions: Prometeo
I think the next step is to determine why you are not burning clean. Wet wood? Or running too low?
Exact, yes it is essential to determine it, both reasons, Surely, wood that is not perfectly seasoned, and many trials, this amount of creosote, it helps me understand that I can't reduce the air too much, and always load the stove to always travel very hot, flue is 30 feet, I have to consider this length, and that the temperature is not greatly reduced along the entire length.

Is that 30 ft flue fully insulated?

Is that 30 ft flue fully insulated?
it is a single wall tube, which passes into square concrete bricks, surrounded by other bricks, which on 3 sides overlook the. internal walls. The first 8 feet are 45 degrees included, visible, into the lounge and then about 22 feet into the concrete/brick, vertical. In the roof I sealed the single wall pipe very well, do not pass air outside it. In the first hours of fire, with new wood I should assure myself that at the beginning of the vertical section, externally, I should have at least around 100-120 degrees celsius, are sufficient ? I admit in some tests I was also half of these values.

The uninsulated flue is a large part of why the accumulation is happening. The flue gases are cooling down too much and starting to condense in the pipe once they drop below around 105ºC. Put a remote thermometer at the top of the chimney to see what it takes to have the exiting flue gases stay above that temperature.

The uninsulated flue is a large part of why the accumulation is happening. The flue gases are cooling down too much and starting to condense in the pipe once they drop below around 105ºC. Put a remote thermometer at the top of the chimney to see what it takes to have the exiting flue gases stay above that temperature.
Excellent description and solution. Should be a Sticky.

Thank you, another problem I have, before a 45 degree semi-bend, the visible part, in the living room, I have an air leak, with the thermal camera I notice a temperature jump of 10 degrees, there is a colder halo. In that area recently I get 130 degrees Celsius externally, how could I seal it well? I'm also planning to clean the chimney, next time, without having to dismantle a single piece, but recovering the creosote from the stove itself, removing only the baffle.