First Year Harman Pellet Stove, Cold Draft on Floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2014
Rochester, NY
I am a first year pellet stove user. I am an experienced wood burner for the past 20 years plus. I replaced my country flame BF insert, which put out massive amounts of heat when I needed it too and it had a great blower on it which moved that hot air around the house very efficiently. Due to previous owner of my home, the stove had been over fired many times. When I purchased my home the wood stove was about 18 years old and had some warping on the interior fire box on the top baffles. I got another 11 years out of the stove before the interior completely broke down. So I replaced the insert with an Accentra 52i.

My question is, why am I getting such cold drafts on the floor which I didn't get with my other wood stove insert. I figured since the wood stove had a blower and had to draw air in, I was thinking the pellet stove would use the same amount of air. My wife was complaining about this right from the beginning but I kept telling her it was the same. Now that we have hit the real cold weather you can really notice it. I was trying to compensate by getting the room hotter but even when it is 78 in the room, you have a cold draft on your feet and it feels cold in the room. I have been reading about an OAK and wasn't sure if I had one installed when the stove was put it. The place I purchased it from never talked about one and the installer never said anything when it was installed. I am assuming that I do not have one. Would installing one really cut down on the draft in the house. I am confused because I didn't have these drafts with the wood stove and I had a blower on that. Any advice would be appreciated.

The pellet stove is pulling in lots of air to supply its blowers and combustion air. An Outside Air Kit (OAK) will help to alleviate this issue. However, even with OAK, it is still possible to notice some cold air movement, especially from other rooms toward the room with the pellet stove. Nature of the beast.

Most wood stoves are radiant heaters whereas most pellet stoves are convective heaters. The better efficiency of the pellet stove in circulating warm air must be counter-balanced with the return of cold air to the stove. An outside air kit will minimize but not completely eliminate this drafting of cold air to the stove from inside the house.

The oak only supplies air to the combustion chamber, not your convection blower, which is the hot air blowing off the stove. The convection air is recycled, it is the combustion blower creating a negative pressure in your house, which wants to equilibrate by outside air. Hence the drafts. An OAK will eliminate this draft caused by the stove. Same principle applies to bathroom fans and dryers.

Reactions: bags
A ceiling fan blowing the hot air down towards the floor may help

I am a first year pellet stove user. I am an experienced wood burner for the past 20 years plus. I replaced my country flame BF insert, which put out massive amounts of heat when I needed it too and it had a great blower on it which moved that hot air around the house very efficiently. Due to previous owner of my home, the stove had been over fired many times. When I purchased my home the wood stove was about 18 years old and had some warping on the interior fire box on the top baffles. I got another 11 years out of the stove before the interior completely broke down. So I replaced the insert with an Accentra 52i.

My question is, why am I getting such cold drafts on the floor which I didn't get with my other wood stove insert. I figured since the wood stove had a blower and had to draw air in, I was thinking the pellet stove would use the same amount of air. My wife was complaining about this right from the beginning but I kept telling her it was the same. Now that we have hit the real cold weather you can really notice it. I was trying to compensate by getting the room hotter but even when it is 78 in the room, you have a cold draft on your feet and it feels cold in the room. I have been reading about an OAK and wasn't sure if I had one installed when the stove was put it. The place I purchased it from never talked about one and the installer never said anything when it was installed. I am assuming that I do not have one. Would installing one really cut down on the draft in the house. I am confused because I didn't have these drafts with the wood stove and I had a blower on that. Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes.

I run my oil guzzlers fan (fan override switch) for this reason, it helps take the cold air off the floor and move air around the house.

I run my oil guzzlers fan (fan override switch) for this reason, it helps take the cold air off the floor and move air around the house.
So you think running my return air on furnace to circulate air will help reduce this draft?

So you think running my return air on furnace to circulate air will help reduce this draft?

Every house is different. All I can say is test it over a few days and see.

Depends on how your circulating system is configured. Won't hurt to try but I wouldn't bet the cookie on it.

The oak only supplies air to the combustion chamber, not your convection blower, which is the hot air blowing off the stove. The convection air is recycled, it is the combustion blower creating a negative pressure in your house, which wants to equilibrate by outside air. Hence the drafts. An OAK will eliminate this draft caused by the stove. Same principle applies to bathroom fans and dryers.
Thanks
Depends on how your circulating system is configured. Won't hurt to try but I wouldn't bet the cookie on it.
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight. If that doesn't I think I'll start looking into adding an OAK.

In my experience recirculating the air by use of the furnace was less efficient and made the house feel generally cooler. While my ducts are insulated and the system about 6 years old, running air through the circulatory system of the ducts adds an inherent inefficiency (duct work is in the cooooold attic space).

Reactions: F4jock
In my experience recirculating the air by use of the furnace was less efficient and made the house feel generally cooler. While my ducts are insulated and the system about 6 years old, running air through the circulatory system of the ducts adds an inherent inefficiency (duct work is in the cooooold attic space).
I agree. Didn't help me. Actually hurt just as you said but some have said it helps and it's almost free. . . . . .

We tried using the furnace fan to circulate air to equalize the temps. It doesn't really help in our situation. With the fan on it actually lowers the temp on the first floor and the 2nd floor doesn't notice any change. I even tried blocking the various returns to see if I could pull the hot air into the system better and keep out the cold, no real difference. The basement, where our stove is located, stays toasty. I do notice the cold draft coming down the stairway with fan on or off, but that's just the nature of things as the cold air will go to the lowest point. We have an open stairwell with landings. No doors to block off floors. Only bedrooms and bathrooms have doors.

Each home is different but it can't hurt to experiment with the fan.

With the furnace blower on It feels like my old heat pump. Chilly. Throw a towel in front of the stove and let it draw from the two sides. Quieter for sure but not sure how much it helps with the draft.??? And if you put a Renuzit air freshener on one side it blows scented warm air. hths

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.