Fisher grandpa bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bhuseth

Dec 6, 2022
Underwood
I am building a new cabin off grid. I have Fisher grandpa bear stove that I am planning to install. I believe it is a wide body grandpa bear it measures 30 1/4" across the outside (6 1/2 fire bricks). It has a 10" out the back outlet. I have a few questions
1) can I neck it down to an 8" chimney?
Most of the Fisher stoves I have seen only have an 8" outlet.
2) want is best placement for a baffle to be installed?
3) in the Fisher Manuel it calls for a 39 1/2" clearance from the corner of each corner to the wall with today's building materials (steel studs and cement board) can the distance be closed in some ? With that distance the stove gets way out in the room.

20221223_164037.jpg 20221223_164152.jpg

Yes, you can reduce to 8. It is technically against code to reduce smaller than stove outlet. 8 inch was standard.

The baffle size and exhaust square inch area depends on chimney.

Clearance to combustible wall is 36 inches from stove to wall in a corner or sidewall/backwall installation shown on page 10. Single wall pipe for a rear vented Grandpa requires 39 1/2 to walls in a corner installation. Single wall pipe to rear wall requires 28 and 45 to sidewall.

Clearances are to combustible building materials. Cement board and steel studs are not combustible, depending on what is attached on the outside.

I am building a new cabin off grid. I have Fisher grandpa bear stove that I am planning to install. I believe it is a wide body grandpa bear it measures 30 1/4" across the outside (6 1/2 fire bricks). It has a 10" out the back outlet. I have a few questions
1) can I neck it down to an 8" chimney?
Most of the Fisher stoves I have seen only have an 8" outlet.
2) want is best placement for a baffle to be installed?
3) in the Fisher Manuel it calls for a 39 1/2" clearance from the corner of each corner to the wall with today's building materials (steel studs and cement board) can the distance be closed in some ? With that distance the stove gets way out in the room.

View attachment 306018 View attachment 306019
would you consider selling me the 4 bear claws for $100? Please let me know. Thanks much

Going to pick up a Grandpa Bear this weekend. Do you recommend taking the feet off for the 3 hour ride in a trailer? Or should I lay it on it's side? Thanks

Going to pick up a Grandpa Bear this weekend. Do you recommend taking the feet off for the 3 hour ride in a trailer? Or should I lay it on it's side? Thanks
If its the bear feet bottoms then yes, but the legs themselves on fishers are not removable.

What exactly do you have? If angle iron legs, they set into the Bear feet accessory. You lift the stove out of the feet to move it with a hand truck or furniture dolly. Transport upright to keep bricks in place in the stove if not removing them to make it lighter.. Remove doors to reduce weight.

Fisher Stoves before 1980 were all Series I with angle iron corners that become legs. This style was continued by many fabricators after 1980 along with the Grandpa III or IV UL Listed version with removable legs.. The UL Listed version has removable legs that bolt on with a bolt in each corner. If you have the cast iron Furniture style, or Bear Leg style, remove them and set stove on 4x4 for transport.