Fisher Grandpa gasket for glass in doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright

Jun 29, 2016
Maryland
Hello,
I am replacing the gaskets in the two doors of my Fisher Grandpa wood stove. The old gaskets do not seem to have had any cement but the new gaskets I see for sale all include cement. Should I apply cement to the new gaskets around the glass or just count on the metal brackets to hold the two pieces of glass? Thanks very much for any help with this!

No gasket cement between glass and door on any Fisher Stove. (thin, flat gasket material normally wraps around glass edge) You can tape it to glass to hold in place until the steel bar clamps it. Do not over tighten. Use silver anti-seize on machine screw threads so they will remove in the future.

The door gasket material is cemented to the stove front door seal iron on the III, and door gasket material is cemented to the door on the IV.

GM III Ind. 2.jpg III style glass

GM IV Scott Ohio 11.jpg IV style glass

Usually much cheaper off the roll by the foot than in kit form.

Hello,
Thank you very much for your response. I do not know how old the gasket is. I am wondering if gaskets shrink (or expand) during time. Should I buy gaskets that seems the same size as the old gaskets?

thanks again!

They don't change much, the old white material gets hard and brittle. You only want it wide enough to wrap around glass edge and not stick out on the outside. They make a softer material I believe out of fiberglass strands now that is supposed to last longer. On door seals it frays and wears, I think more than the old stuff. Black and white is available for glass and called "Window Channel" with or without adhesive backing. If you have an old local hardware store they probably sell gasket material by the foot off the roll in which case it's normally stocked in round or flat. If you order it by the foot from a supplier like Woodman's Parts Plus, you can order black or white with or without adhesive backing. The adhesive is peel and stick. I get the cheap stuff and use a little tape to hold it in place while I set the glass in the door opening. Then you can tuck it in and move it a bit as you snug it down so you can't see it much at all. Glass has to expand so you don't need to tighten it much. In time it crushes down, so check it after a few fires as it may need to be tightened down a bit.

They don't change much, the old white material gets hard and brittle. You only want it wide enough to wrap around glass edge and not stick out on the outside. They make a softer material I believe out of fiberglass strands now that is supposed to last longer. On door seals it frays and wears, I think more than the old stuff. Black and white is available for glass and called "Window Channel" with or without adhesive backing. If you have an old local hardware store they probably sell gasket material by the foot off the roll in which case it's normally stocked in round or flat. If you order it by the foot from a supplier like Woodman's Parts Plus, you can order black or white with or without adhesive backing. The adhesive is peel and stick. I get the cheap stuff and use a little tape to hold it in place while I set the glass in the door opening. Then you can tuck it in and move it a bit as you snug it down so you can't see it much at all. Glass has to expand so you don't need to tighten it much. In time it crushes down, so check it after a few fires as it may need to be tightened down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.