Fisher Grandpa/glass for door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bright

Jun 29, 2016
Maryland
Hello,
I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me out. I have a 1984 Fisher Grandpa wood stove. I recently managed to break the glass on one of the doors. I cannot find anyplace that offers replacements for the stove, only sites that can custom cut glass for the door. Our wood stove sweep estimated a cost of $375 which seems very high to me. Any recommendations? Many thanks for any input! I

Is it a III or IV? Model III will be flat horizontal across top and IV is angled. Clear or Amber?
Let CamFan on this website know what you need and he may have have what you need pre-cut. He also has some solid cast iron panels instead of glass, IF you have black painted doors. They would fit Brass and Glass, but not look as good. They are black.
If not, Woodmans's Parts Plus can cut you what you need.

Coaly I have a model IV, and I think something was wrong with the wood I burned last year (possibly to green) but I can't get my glass clean. So I need to replace mine as well. I'll try and see if I can get in touch with Camfan. Thanks. Oh and I hope your project finished well last year!

Spray inside with oven cleaner, let soak and use razor blade? Never saw one I couldn't clean.
If you don't have a steam cleaner; You can take the door off, boil water on a stove top in a tea kettle. With steam coming out of the spout, hold glass over the stream of steam. Wipe dry with cloth before any residue cools back into a solid on glass. That's also a good way to clean carb parts or fuel injectors when in need of carb cleaner. Hold small parts with pliers and it melts the goo off like new.

Spray inside with oven cleaner, let soak and use razor blade? Never saw one I couldn't clean.
If you don't have a steam cleaner; You can take the door off, boil water on a stove top in a tea kettle. With steam coming out of the spout, hold glass over the stream of steam. Wipe dry with cloth before any residue cools back into a solid on glass. That's also a good way to clean carb parts or fuel injectors when in need of carb cleaner. Hold small parts with pliers and it melts the goo off like new.

I'll try the oven clean. I've never seen build up on the glass like this. I mentioned it to you last year, it doesn't make sense.

I would suspect the connector pipe configuration or chimney flue first.

Status
Not open for further replies.