Fisher Grandpa or Grandma IV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pamike

Feb 22, 2021
PA
Anyone have a lead on a Grandma or Grandpa IV top vent stove? Pretty much any condition. I am in PA but drove to Wisconsin for my first fisher…

Thanks
Mike

Watch Facebook marketplace.

Yeah I have been watching but not finding anything. Couple inserts but not free standing stoves. Figured someone on here may know on one.

Yeah there are a bunch of Fisher wood stoves on Facebook Marketplace. Probably more than any other brand. At least in my area.

Yeah there are a bunch of Fisher wood stoves on Facebook Marketplace. Probably more than any other brand. At least in my area.
Yeah same here and half the people want $1000 + for them.

Some are over $2000….but not seeing any with glass doors. I have a grandpa in my cabin and one in my garage, but was looking for something different for the house.

Some are over $2000….but not seeing any with glass doors. I have a grandpa in my cabin and one in my garage, but was looking for something different for the house.
The glass is pointless it doesn't have an adequate air wash to keep it clean. At best you can see a glow through it. Why not go with a modern stove in the house?

Is that true from others experience- the glass will not stay clear? If that’s the case then I will just get UL listed stove and use the screen when I want to enjoy the fire.

Is that true from others experience- the glass will not stay clear? If that’s the case then I will just get UL listed stove and use the screen when I want to enjoy the fire.
Seriously why not consider a modern stove. I have a Fisher in a shop a d it's fantastic in that application. But there is absolutely no way I would heat my home with one.

Reactions: bigealta
I just have an addiction to the history of these stoves and I am not planning to heat my house with it. More of I want to drink my morning coffee or evening bourbon next to cracking fire of a fisher! It will only be used for those purposes.

Modern stove with big glass door would fit the bill perfectly.

Reactions: bholler
Coaly help….where is the love of the fisher stove???
I have a no glass door jotul 118 clone (great old "nostalgia" stove)
And a EPA Jotul f400 nice glass door stove.
Even though i like the 118, the lack of glass really let's it down

The big glass on the f400 is Fantastic. I'd never trade that for anything without a big glass door.

When the f400 is cranking it feels like there's a mini Sun inside it radiating out thru the glass. Yes it will burn you Xss thru the glass. What's better than that?

Coaly help….where is the love of the fisher stove???
They don't get it.

GM IV with Fireplace Legs 2.jpg Unknown ebay called  S100219.jpg

Grandma IV painted black 6.JPG Grandma IV painted black 3.JPG

Feel better?

GM IV Scott Ohio 11.jpg Grandma IV painted black 1.JPG GM IV Scott Ohio 2.jpg

Feel better?
Probably just jealous .... like me.
I love some of the old stoves.... those Fishers are beautiful.
Part of your collection, I'm sure.

Beautiful!!!! I need one of them…..patience I guess. Coaly can you share one of them??
Don't be in a hurry. You may find one cheaper than you think, a little paint is all it takes.

These are perfect for adding secondary tubes with the larger glass.

Hey Coaly, Are those custom aftermarket Glass doors?

No those a standard doors
Hmmm never knew they existed. Does a hot fire keep them clean? or do they soot up quickly for the most part?

One of the things I like about most older stoves is the lack of glass. It’s just something to break or need new gaskets eventually. Seeing the fire is cool, but not necessary to run the stove.

If they made new Blaze King stoves without glass doors, and I wasn’t married…. :)

Reactions: Itslay90
One of the things I like about most older stoves is the lack of glass. It’s just something to break or need new gaskets eventually. Seeing the fire is cool, but not necessary to run the stove.

If they made new Blaze King stoves without glass doors, and I wasn’t married…. :)
You get a ton of heat thru the glass.