Fisher Grandpa or Grandma IV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One of the things I like about most older stoves is the lack of glass. It’s just something to break or need new gaskets eventually. Seeing the fire is cool, but not necessary to run the stove.

If they made new Blaze King stoves without glass doors, and I wasn’t married…. :)
That’s the only thing that’s holding you back ? How bout saving wood ?

Do any of the solid door Fishers have a heated air intake baffle?
I'm noting the baffles used on the All NIghters.

Do any of the solid door Fishers have a heated air intake baffle?
I'm noting the baffles used on the All NIghters.
You are not referring to a baffle, that is convection tubes that extract heat by convection using a blower. A baffle is inside the firebox preventing exhaust gases from rising directly out. Fisher Fireplace Inserts have a plenum, or airspace around the fire box that blows out all the way across the top. Other models such as Honey Bear, and both Grandma and Grandpa later models with rear shields have an optional fan that blows up the back of stove, and a curl at the top directs air flow forward.

The issue with All Nighter tubes is they are a lighter gauge steel than the 1/4 inch body that rot out and some had to be plugged or welded shut.

Reactions: all night moe
Hmmm never knew they existed. Does a hot fire keep them clean? or do they soot up quickly for the most part?
There is air wash over glass. But you have to know how to use it. Closing the primary air forces all air coming in through the air wash intakes. This is just right for overnight burns, only hazing at top of glass. It should not darken to the point of being black. Older Honey Bears had air wash top and bottom and was best.

That’s the only thing that’s holding you back ? How bout saving wood ?
Yeah it’s hard to find a good wife these days that also likes window-less stoves ;)

I’d be curious to see how much more/less heat is produced by a stove with a solid door versus an identical stove with a glass door.

I figure on my stove a lot of the heat comes from the cat. And the area in between the stove body and outer shield that the fan blows through.

You are not referring to a baffle, that is convection tubes that extract heat by convection using a blower. A baffle is inside the firebox preventing exhaust gases from rising directly out. Fisher Fireplace Inserts have a plenum, or airspace around the fire box that blows out all the way across the top. Other models such as Honey Bear, and both Grandma and Grandpa later models with rear shields have an optional fan that blows up the back of stove, and a curl at the top directs air flow forward.

The issue with All Nighter tubes is they are a lighter gauge steel than the 1/4 inch body that rot out and some had to be plugged or welded shut.
Baffle may be the wrong word but, I'm not referring to the heat exchange tubes inside the stove.
On the inside of the loading door there is a cast plate that pre heats the incoming air. I'm on my 2nd All Nighter and they both have this.
My friend's Fisher does not. Since there are so many variations of Fisher stoves, I'm curious if any do.

Baffle may be the wrong word but, I'm not referring to the heat exchange tubes inside the stove.
On the inside of the loading door there is a cast plate that pre heats the incoming air. I'm on my 2nd All Nighter and they both have this.
My friend's Fisher does not. Since there are so many variations of Fisher stoves, I'm curious if any do.
That is a hollow door for a crude secondary air supply above fire. No.

The Coal Bear, Fishers only coal stove has adjustable secondary air. Honey Bear with upper and lower glass air wash has air to the top, and all the glass models have primary air and air wash that gets air above the fire the same way. They are all adjustable.

One of the things I like about most older stoves is the lack of glass. It’s just something to break or need new gaskets eventually. Seeing the fire is cool, but not necessary to run the stove.

If they made new Blaze King stoves without glass doors, and I wasn’t married…. :)
We do. Princess and King models are available with a solid door.

BKVP

The solid door was the easy part. The wife is the hard part. That won’t be changing anytime soon. Her opinion. Haha

@BKVP
What are the performance differences of the glass versus solid door stoves? Is it something you guys have tested?

I’m building a barn soon that will have a finished loft area. I was thinking about getting another princess for that area. I would definitely consider the solid door option. Since it will be “my” space. Lol.

The solid door was the easy part. The wife is the hard part. That won’t be changing anytime soon. Her opinion. Haha

@BKVP
What are the performance differences of the glass versus solid door stoves? Is it something you guys have tested?

I’m building a barn soon that will have a finished loft area. I was thinking about getting another princess for that area. I would definitely consider the solid door option. Since it will be “my” space. Lol.
No real difference.

BKVP