Fisher Honey Bear information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jucamvil

Sep 12, 2022
Winnipeg
Hi all.

This is my first post and it is related to a Fisher stove that came with a mobile home I recently bought in Canada. I am a newcomer and haven't used a wood stove before because I come from a tropical country.

I have read many posts here in this forum and cannot identify if this damper is of this stove. I've been doing some maintanance like replacing the gasket because it has not been operated for many years. Winter is coming and it needs to be ready.

All your recomendations are welcome.

Thank you and best wishes.

IMG_7689.jpg
IMG_7690.jpg
IMG_7691.jpg
IMG_7692.jpg
IMG_7693.jpg
IMG_7698.jpg
IMG_7697.jpg

The flue damper is a chimney control. By closing it slightly, this slows the velocity of rising exhaust gases in the chimney. This reduces NET draft which reduces the air entering the stove intake, slowing the fire. This is not always needed and over use causes creosote formation. Notice I refer to their use as closing slightly. Antique dampers had a metered hole when closed for reducing draft to achieve overnight burns with coal stoves. Newer dampers close fully, so they can easily be closed too far.

Older stoves that were not built air-tight needed the flue damper to reduce the draft since air leaked into the firebox around doors, and through seams of cast iron stove parts. All stoves have a required draft measured at the stove collar. When a chimney is too tall and creates an over-draft problem, a flue damper is required to bring the draft within specs for the stove.

Other uses are for stoves with spark screen attached burning with open doors. This becomes the only control to slow the fire.

It can be used in your case as an emergency brake of sorts in case a log gets stuck in doorway, or there are other problems closing the door, such as broken glass. Damper would be closed until smoke rolls in at top, open slightly to evacuate smoke from stove and leave in this position to slow draft and fire.

It doesn’t matter where it is installed, as long as it is within comfortable reach. The removable shaft with handle is not shown in pics, so if this is the only part of it you have, you will need a new one.

Thanks for the reply Coaly.
I fount that damper inside but dont know where it should be. I dont see a place to install it.
My main concern is related to the operation because don't know if that part belongs to this stove.

The stove hasn't been used for many years but it looks in good condition. It also came with a baffle

Flue dampers are not a stove part. They are a chimney control that installs in the connector pipe. As stated above, it doesn’t matter where they are installed, just within easy reach.

If you don’t have an over drafting chimney, you won’t need one except for the other uses mentioned above if you prefer one.

That is only the damper plate. It needs the handle which is on a shaft that goes across the pipe with a handle to turn it that sticks out on one side.

If it was ever installed on your existing vent system, there would be two holes across from each other through the pipe. It goes inside the pipe. The shaft the damper mounts on goes through the holes so you can rotate it in the pipe to open and close it.

If it was ever installed on your existing vent system, there would be two holes across from each other through the pipe. It goes inside the pipe. The shaft the damper mounts on goes through the holes so you can rotate it in the pipe to open and close it.
Oh yes. I finally found the holes, but unfortunately didnt find the pin. Only the damper was inside the stove.

Oh yes. I finally found the holes, but unfortunately didnt find the pin. Only the damper was inside the stove.
Just go to a hardware store and get a new damper no big deal

Reactions: Frankdozer