Fisher Identification Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2013
Lake Zurich IL
I'm selling a Fisher Stove that came with the cabin I purchased in 2005. The cabin had hardly been used for 30 years... I imagine they put the stove in, in the early 70's near when they were first built - as that was when everything went into the cabin. I can't seem to find a picture like it anywhere...... Anyone know what it is that I have - and it's value? Here is my Craig's list post.

http://northernwi.craigslist.org/clt/4151995047.html

Going to have my cleaning lady measure it. May be bigger than a Grandpa....

8 inch off the stove - goes to 6 near the ceiling.

Yes - I moved that furniture piece away from it - as it got a bit delaminated! Pad was always that small & used for 30 yrs like that w/no problem - hardwood was fine in front of it - totally un-marred. But - I've got to get it up to code for insurance purposes.... Need 36 inches. So - I have a sign on it now that it is not to be used. Will be removing it within a few weeks to make a pad for a new wood stove... Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 most likely...

stove1.jpg

Last edited:
Early Grandma.
Grandpa is larger with more space between trees at door seam.

All the stoves are worth what ever the buyer is willing to pay. This one should draw a premium having the early 3 piece top instead of being bent and pipe cap dampers. A winner as far as collectable.
Yes, the stove pad is far too small. Floor protection for unlisted stoves here; https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

The 36" clearance is to combustables including furniture and dry wall.
The same standard where this is from (NFPA 211) includes a 66% reduction with proper heat shield. IF that is a masonry chimney behind it (noncombustable) you're fine with clearance directly behind it.
The reduction in pipe size is not allowed by code since the code is written simply - no reduction from stove outlet size all the way up. Double door stoves came with a screen for open door burning, hence the larger 8 inch flue outlet to eliminate smoke roll in problems with a 6 inch flue. Papa has a larger firebox, and is a single door stove with no provision for open door burning, so they have a 6 inch flue outlet. That's why this stove will physically work with 6 inch like it does.

Ok thanks - I was contemplating selling it because was told that any insurance I have would not pay out - no matter what the cause of a fire - because it is a non UL listed stove. Guess I should just contact my insurance co & ask them! I currently have a sign on it stating that it is not to be used until further notice - as I don't want to take any chances with my cabin insurance...

So - I'm thinking that even if I made a hearth pad that extends 18 inches out from the front & sides & back of it per your article for non UL listed (hmm - that would be one inch short - since wall is 17 inches from back top lip) (current pad that came with stove years ago is too small - but the hardwood just in front of that is pristine so nothing ever happened with an ember or whatever in 30 yrs of use). Even if I put a heat shield all around it (which wouldn't look so hot) - and put in a modern chimney system that is UL rated (say - keeping it 8 inches all the way up) - it still might not be "enough" to insure that insurance pays out... I don't know... have to check I guess... There was dark wood paneling for years there - 17 inches back.... & stove operated fine for 30 some years like that.. Guess it was put in in the mid 70's.

Someone posted...

This one should draw a premium having the early 3 piece top instead of being bent and pipe cap dampers. It is a winner as far as being collectable.

What makes your special, is a neighbor of Bob Fisher wanted him to weld him an outdoor BBQ. He didn't know Bob already had a stove shop in Springfield and was busy. So Bob turned him down, but did like he did with many customers and taught him to weld, and sold him a license to make Fisher Stoves. His name was Jake Jackson. In 1975 he came up with the idea of a double door stove for people to view the fire. Bob had gone around with foundries getting door problems fixed, and said no way. Later Bob surprised Jake walking into his store south of Springfield. Jake was selling a double door Fisher like yours.

Bob revoked his license and Jake went on to start the Frontier Stove Co. To compete, Bob soon started making the double door stoves, his wife Carol calling them Grandma and Grandpa. They had a round door seal made of 1/2" round rod welded to stove front. The 76 Bicentenial Fisher doors did too, then Fisher made them all the same like the older single doors with a flat metal door seal made of 1 inch channel iron. Frontier stayed with the round seal. That was the only difference in stoves - other than Fisher on the doors from the foundry. In 76 most went with the one piece bent top. VERY few had the flat plate top like yours before anyone had a brake to bend the tops. Only 74 and 75 single door stoves had the 3 piece top. The bending brake wasn't large enough for the wider double doors, so it was another year before the wider stoves had bent tops.

I drove from Stroudsburg area of PA to western Ohio 10 hours for my 3 piece top Grandpa in my collection. I paid $600 - the guy knew me from Hearth so gave it to me cheaper than normal. $600 was a steal.

Last edited:
It does indeed have 5 bricks wide by 4 deep - per my cleaning lady. She couldn't find my tape measure while there - but certainly an early grandma then - built by Jake Jackson. I've never see a Fisher with this type of handle - solid steel. The thing is built like a tank. I had an inquiry about it - and they said does it need any parts & I had to laugh- saying - are you kidding me? This thing hasn't needed a part since purchase I'm sure... It is built like a tank. I've had it since 2005... No parts needed that I can see...

Status
Not open for further replies.