Fisher Insert - Dimensions, Minimum Opening Requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mel W

Jan 4, 2022
South Carolina
Hello, all! I am looking to install a Fisher Insert in my existing masonry fireplace, but am having trouble finding the dimensions of the unit and the minimum required opening dimensions. The manual only gives the clearance to combustibles numbers. Can anyone help? I'm purchasing it this week, and if it doesn't fit my fireplace, it will be used in the shop, so at least I'll still get to use it at work. 😁 I can't put my hands on the measurements I took of my FP opening at the moment, but I know it will fit a Pacific Energy Super Insert LE, if that helps at all. (That was my high-efficiency dream stove, but the price I was quoted swiftly squelched that dream!) I grew up heating with wood in a Fisher Grandpa Bear, so I'm quite fond of Fishers. Thanks in advance.

Insert drawing.jpg

Reactions: Jeff Jay and Mel W
Hello, all! I am looking to install a Fisher Insert in my existing masonry fireplace, but am having trouble finding the dimensions of the unit and the minimum required opening dimensions. The manual only gives the clearance to combustibles numbers. Can anyone help? I'm purchasing it this week, and if it doesn't fit my fireplace, it will be used in the shop, so at least I'll still get to use it at work. 😁 I can't put my hands on the measurements I took of my FP opening at the moment, but I know it will fit a Pacific Energy Super Insert LE, if that helps at all. (That was my high-efficiency dream stove, but the price I was quoted swiftly squelched that dream!) I grew up heating with wood in a Fisher Grandpa Bear, so I'm quite fond of Fishers. Thanks in advance.
Do you have room in your chimney for the required 8" insulated liner?

Reactions: Jeff Jay
I'm not sure. I was planning on reducing to 6" pipe, as I've seen many other posters doing. Is this a bad idea?
The smallest I would go is 7 unless it's really tall