Fisher Insert ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sjg09002

Apr 10, 2023
Hi all, I just moved into a house with a Fisher insert in the basement. I can't see a tag anywhere with the model info but am hoping to identify it and possibly sell it. It is 26" deep with an opening of ~18" wide. Wondering if anyone can tell me what it is or how much it might be sold for? Thanks!

20230409_093251.jpg 20230409_093059.jpg 20230409_093105.jpg 20230409_093112.jpg

Fisher Fireplace Insert Series IV. "Brass and Glass" Metallic Brown.

One of the last models made before closing in 1988.

There were a few manufacturers making the blower fans, this is the first I've ever seen this angled style. The faceplate has a vertical slot for the air intake, and they blow out the slot at top.

This is missing the defector plate, which is a bolt on angles plate across the air outlet slot. It probably wasn't needed if you have a non-combustible mantle. It diverts the hot air rising out of the slot away from wall above it and away from a mantle. It would still be used to prevent heating the masonry when a fireplace is on an exterior wall.

Unless you are looking to replace it with a new more efficient Insert, I would certainly keep it. With the price of other fuels and the uncertainty of power grids and heating costs, this is a emergency heat source and very collectible. The floor protection in front is inadequate. There should be a non-combustible hearth extension in front 18 inches. The other concern is making sure there is a liner connected to the top of Insert when installed in a original open face fireplace. This looks like the chimney may have been built for this, but before use make sure the liner is the same 8 inch diameter as outlet, and directly connected to Insert.

These were originally designed to be slid into an existing fireplace using the existing chimney flue. This proved to allow flue gases to expand into the larger area, cooling below the condensing point of the water vapor present from combustion. This formed excessive amounts of creosote. Standards and codes were changed requiring a liner connected to the outlet all the way up. For this reason, selling one can be difficult when the buyer knows the price of a new insulated liner. Newer Inserts use 6 inch liner making them much more efficient than an older appliance that must leave much more het up the chimney to prevent creosote.

I have all the Fisher stove models in my collection, except Fireplace Inserts. They don't display well without building a hearth or fireplace for one, but this model along with these extremely rare fans would be the one to have. If this was anywhere on the East Coast I would be there. Worth much more to someone who knows what it is than just someone looking for an older Insert to burn.

Here is a thread where I pictured all the known Fisher Insert blowers at the time. (2013 thread) It has been over 10 years since I've seen a new type anywhere, giving you an idea how rare these blowers are. I pretty much follow sales on facebook marketplace, craigslist, eBay, and other wood burning websites;

I'd be interested if there are any tags, or identification labels on or in them. The Utah fabricator was in Salt Lake City, and was the only fabricator that made the XL Restaurant model which was the forerunner of the redesigned stoves for 1980, so it's not surprising this is where something new surfaced. They were the most innovative fabricator of over 30 across the US and Canada. Probably made by them and will only be found in your state where their protected licensing area was. The models made by others for Fisher were sold by Fisher dealers and licensees nationwide. Guessing these were not mass produced.

You can be see by all the other styles, this may be the best appearance of any blower made.

Thanks so much for all the info, very cool that these are such rare blowers! They do work when plugged in just to confirm. I won't be back for a couple of weeks to check, but I will definitely look for any tags or labels when I get there.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to keep the hearth as its location in the room poses safety hazards. But it would be great to get the stove to someone that appreciates it since it sounds like it's quite unique. Any thoughts on how to connect with anyone that might be interested?