Fisher Polar bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the buyer and seller agree to. For someone that needs a listed zero clearance fireplace insert, quite high. Providing it comes with installation instructions or you can obtain a copy.

This one was $850.

Polar Bear for sale 850.jpg The left door will have a round logo top left.

There was a guy local to me that was asking $400 for a polar bear that needed to be completely restored, but honestly, I agree with coaly "Whatever the buyer and seller agree to." The fireplace insert in my avatar only cost me $300, but I have seen people asking up $1000 for one in way worse shape.

How do you know if it is a polar bear insert or a fisher fireplace insert? Which one is this?

[ATTACHl]185650[/ATTACH]
Whatever the buyer and seller agree to. For someone that needs a listed zero clearance fireplace insert, quite high. Providing it comes with installation instructions or you can obtain a copy.

This one was $850.

View attachment 150938 The left door will have a round logo top left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 696
For someone that needs a listed zero clearance fireplace insert
What do you mean a zero clearance fireplace insert?

How do you know if it is a polar bear insert or a fisher fireplace insert? Which one is this?

That is a full size "Fisher Fireplace Insert". (that needs the right door handle adjusted)

Polar Bear is smaller with a much larger air space above firebox and outer case. Notice in #2 post above the space behind kettle. The space above firebox where the air comes out is twice as high.

CA Ebay 7-2014 3.JPG

They were made to fit in factory fabricated fireplaces made for no clearance to combustibles. Since these fireplaces were usually used in smaller areas where there wasn't enough room for a fireplace, they are a lower heat output. They are not Manufactured Home Certified.

What do you mean a zero clearance fireplace insert?

Info and picture on this "Wood Heater Leader" poster; (shown with brass plated doors)

wood heater leader.JPG

Info and picture on this "Wood Heater Leader" poster; (shown with brass plated doors)
The problem with that is that those fireplaces do not allow inserts to be put into them. So fisher may have said it was ok but the fireplace manufacturer says it is not so you still cant do it.

Apparently in 1980 it was an approved practice since they were UL Listed for use, meaning it must have been tested in one. So if it was Listed at the time, I assume you can still use it? Is it a new code adopted from Standard or current manufacturers do not allow them? What I'm asking is if a manufacturer of fireplace does not prohibit use, could they be used in that fabricated fireplace?

Since the laws have changed requiring direct connection to flue, would an Insert retain the UL Listing when installed with direct connection as required for today's codes?
As far as I know any appliance would "loose" it's UL Listing if modified or when not installed as per the installation instructions that were approved as part of the listing. So installing an Insert in a fireplace with direct connection to a liner, as now required, would be legal, but no longer UL approved. Correct? So a Listed appliance becomes unlisted and not allowed to be used in any jurisdiction requiring UL listed appliances only. Correct?
If this is the case, only grandfathered Inserts can be used unless I'm missing something.

Apparently in 1980 it was an approved practice since they were UL Listed for use, meaning it must have been tested in one. So if it was Listed at the time, I assume you can still use it? Is it a new code adopted from Standard or current manufacturers do not allow them? What I'm asking is if a manufacturer of fireplace does not prohibit use, could they be used in that fabricated fireplace?
Some believe that manufacturers instructions of one unit trump the other but the way I look at it that is not true. Code clearly says you need to follow all manufacturers instructions not just the ones you want to follow. And there are still inserts made that claim to be listed for use in a zero clearance unit. The problem is there is no ul standard for them to be tested to. And even if there was it would only be good for the fireplace they were tested in not all of them.

As far as I know any appliance would "loose" it's UL Listing if modified or when not installed as per the installation instructions that were approved as part of the listing. So installing an Insert in a fireplace with direct connection to a liner, as now required, would be legal, but no longer UL approved. Correct? So a Listed appliance becomes unlisted and not allowed to be used in any jurisdiction requiring UL listed appliances only. Correct?
If this is the case, only grandfathered Inserts can be used unless I'm missing something.
yes and another thing when you install the insert in the fireplace that fireplace looses its listing. And all of the instructions I have read say the insert must be installed in a listed fireplace. So basically there is no way to follow either set of instructions completely. They are covering their buts legally and the person who installed it will be left with all of the liability.

This whole issue has been debated over and over in many different venues. But csia and nfi both agree that installing any insert in a zc fireplace (other that the few that now allow it) Is unacceptable and does not meet code.

Status
Not open for further replies.