Fisher stove identification for fire screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoCabin

Nov 7, 2020
Missy
I picked up this fisher stove off of craigslist and I want to restore it and find a fire screen for it, However I am not sure of the model I should be looking for.

it is approximately 32-in tall at the back and 28-in wide. The doors are 12 in wide each.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20201101_005918750.jpg
    PXL_20201101_005918750.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Todd67
That is a 1977 Grandpa Bear.
Any screen for a Grandpa is quite rare. The original for that year was all black if you’re looking for the time period correct one. Only 76 and early 77 had those doors. Later models used a chrome frame screen called Contemporary style. The chrome frame type will fit and work fine, it is just not time period correct. Both come up for sale rarely on eBay, but be prepared to pay. I’ve seen them around $200. The bear feet or screen can sell for more than the stove. You’re into collector material there.

Post #87 in this thread shows pics of all the Grandpa screens through different time periods. Yours is the first style.

When it comes to using the fire screen, their use is very limited. Mostly people who had an open fireplace and miss viewing the fire normally use them. It is not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode. Like a fireplace, most heat rises up the chimney.

The Grandma screen is much more common since it was used in the Fireplace Insert, Grandma, Goldilocks and Teddy Bear stoves. Your door opening is much larger.

One use I've found is in the case of having wet or damp kindling starting a fire after a storm. With screen in place you get all the air it will take moving through door opening to get it going. Normally opening air intakes 2 or 3 turns each is plenty, but in an emergency with damp wood you can get it going in Fireplace Mode, then close doors as soon as it is started.

The only control of the fire you have with open door operation is the flue pipe damper. Close damper until smoke starts to roll in at top. Open slowly until smoke rises out stack. This is the setting to evacuate smoke while allowing a small amount of heat to heat stove. Most still rises out stack. Close doors for the proper BTU output and radiate heat into building.

Thank you I will keep my eye open on eBay for a screen. My stove doesn't have the bear feet though. It has straight legs with a silver ball on the bottom.

Do do you happen to know what the original color of the stove and trees were so that I can try to get as close to original as possible.

The chrome ball feet are original. They are movable for leveling.
Later, the bear feet accessory was available that used washers in the bottom of each foot for leveling.

The entire stove was painted with Stove Bright Satin Black. Still available from Forrest Paints, and one of the best high temperature paints made.

Welcome to the forum MoCabin!