Fisher Stove Value Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hodge.miche

Dec 13, 2021
Virginia
Hello! We are planning on selling this Papa Bear Fisher Wood Stove locally. We do not use this to heat our home and need the extra space in the basement. It hasn't been used in at least two decades.

Does anyone have a ballpark price on what we should sell it for considering the shape it's in? We will be asking the buyers to provide a way to remove it from our basement and we want to price it fairly! Thank you so much for your input!

65746722400__5C6FC09B-4BC6-4310-A1E4-832AD04FB148.jpeg IMG_3466.jpeg IMG_3467.jpeg IMG_3469.jpeg IMG_3471.jpeg

It is worth what ever you can get for it. Around here they go for about 250. Other areas they are getting crazy prices for them.

The prices I was seeing for them were in the $400-$800 range. Yours would have to be closer to the $400 range for me to reach out to contact you. Having to uninstall it myself AND get it out of a basement would almost make me not want to come get it unless it were free.

Most of the ads I was seeing when purchasing 2 months ago were stoves already waiting in a garage to be picked up.

IMO pull it out, scuff it and spray if with high temp stove paint and it could sell for a premium. Once the buyer hands over the cash casually mention that it was freshly painted.

IMO pull it out, scuff it and spray if with high temp stove paint and it could sell for a premium. Once the buyer hands over the cash casually mention that it was freshly painted.
As a buyer, I avoided any Fisher stoves that were clearly freshly painted.

I just didn't trust anyone to do proper prep work.

In my area... as is... $400-$800. Depending on shape and if it has a UL tag.

I paid 250 and I had to sand blast,paint and new brick
Thats about normal here for a Papa Bear needing only a few bricks and paint and no UL tag.
A Papa VI in good shape double that.

Thats about normal here for a Papa Bear needing only a few bricks and paint and no UL tag.
A Papa VI in good shape double that.
I had mama bear 20 by years ago. I just got this one and started burning wood again. I installed baffle plate like you described works great . What temp should I run stove pipe at 400-500 dregrees.If pics get on thread do you know what year this stove is

41C97863-6F08-489F-9671-DBEEB8EF4B79.jpeg

‘75 /‘76.
Pipe temperature depends on connector pipe configuration and chimney size and type.

The object is keeping the internal flue temp above 250* f all the way to the top while smoke is present. The magnetic surface thermometer reads about half the internal temperature. So 250* is about 500* internal. The burn zone on thermometer starts at 250-300 , depending on brand. This is a guide that assumes cooling back down to these temps at the top. A larger 8 inch chimney allows more cooling, so the only sure way to know is taking an IR temp reading on flue wall about a foot down from the top, mid burn to see what temp you have when compared to the magnetic pipe thermometer.