fisher wood stove collar repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dusterboy

Nov 30, 2023
rochester ny
hi we have an older fisher wood stove in our hunting camp i think its a papa bear or similar, has 8 inch single wall pipe. runs strait up thru roof, so its a top vent pipe not side . my problem is the collar on the stove itself where pipe attaches to at the stove has deteriorated with not much left to attach new pipe to. is it possible to weld a new 8 inch collar ring to the stove? or is there some type of after market part the can be bolted or welded on to the stove? frustrating as the stove works good any ideas ??? thanks

Any good welder can weld on a new ring. The biggest hassle is coming up with ring that is the right OD.

your correct i was thinking of possibly measuring the diameter of whats left of the existing collar then grinding it totally flat then having a new ring welded on the same diameter as the original. we use the stove basicly just for a few weeks a year during deer season. really dont want to dish out 3-5 grand on new stove that doesnt see alot of use

A Papa would normally have 6 inch, and a single door. Full size Fireplace Series with double doors has 8.

Depending on year and series, the OD will be different due to wall thickness. Early stoves had thin wall pipe that measures 6 inch OD. Later stoves have thicker wall pipe that measures 6 inch ID, requiring a larger opening. Get exact measurements inside and out.

Schedule 40 iron pipe is what you need to weld in place. If 6 inch, you may find a scrap piece from a well driller. Also check scrap yards. Make sure it extends down into firebox 3 inches like original.

yes this is an 8 inch double door unit no glass i believe its the largest fisher its like 40 years old
The largest would have a 10" can you post a picture

wow didnt know they made a 10. its in our hunting camp . aready hunted opening week . have to get back down there to get some pics . i know for sure its 8 inch have to see what i can do

Hi.. just came across your post..I'm in a similar situation.. I had a Riteway model 37 stove for decades .. it was showing its age.. rusty warped leaky.. last summer I found the exact same Riteway model 37 stove on Craigslist.. the original owner passed away .. I bought it from his wife.. the stove was never used.. not even once. Never fired. It just sat in his basement all those years. In perfect condition.. other then 1 thing.. the exhaust collar is out of round. To me it looks like when it was originally welded on it was not done properly and the weld itself pulled the collar out of round. At the seam on the bottom..so it will not accept 6 inch stove pipe.. the stove pipe will not go into the collar..! Without modification.. whatvi did was cut a groove in the crimped end of single wall stove pipe 90.. and then squished the crimp end in in itself. And I was able to get it in about half way into the collar.. it works but leaks. Sucks Room air in when the stove is running/ drafting.. not ideal obviously.. long story short I think if a got a piece of 6 inch pipe about 6 inch long.. I could but it up to the out of round collar and weld it in place.. that would extend the side exhaust collar 6 inches and get it so I do not have to modify the single wall pipe . My question is... were you able to find a piece of pipe for yours that can be welded on and will be a good tight fit for the stove pipe to attach...? Any help woukd be greatly appreciated... thx...mike

How close does it measure to 6 inches inside?

Do you have a hand crimper? You should be able to crimp it down farther where it needs to be crushed in.

A flat side on the pipe can be made putting a 2x4 through it. Support the board at the ends of pipe so it hangs on it. Use the top side as an anvil to shape. If there are gaps when installed, screws through collar into pipe pulls it tight.

All great suggestions.. but been there done that already.. unfortunately none of those suggestions will work in my situation.. as far as getting an exact measurement with the calipers is also impossible..because it's outa round and will read anywhere from 5 .75 and 6.5 inches depending on where you take the measurement.. I just got the stove last summer and kije I said before it was never connected or fired for 40 years.. because of this issue with the collar. The collar is originally made from a formed piece of steel . With a weld seam at the bottom.. I believe the weld over heated and actually created a small V shape at the bottom and at the same time pulled both sides in under 6 inchs.. so basically it's totally FUBARed.. right now as I said I cut a groove out of 1 crimp on a standard single wall stove pipe 90 and squeezed it together into an almost perfect matching little v. But it's only inserted about half way... and I've found when you try and modify a stove pipe 90 you compromise the whole thing.. My question is ...is there a recommended piece of 6 inch pipe or has anyone ever made this type of repair with certain pipe thT will accommodate 6 inch crimped stove pipe.. with a good snug fit.. I have a welder and know how to use it.. but by no means am I an expert.. I'm pretty sure the stove pipe itself is designed to fit exactly a 6 inch id.. so of I get the right pipe and but it up to the outta round collar.. and extend the collar out a few inches with a true 6 inch diameter at the end .. problem solved.. sorry for the long winded post but I was try to explain my situation without pictures.. the stove and new liner are running.. running great really.. but I don't like the modified 90 onky half way in

Next time I sweep the chimney and clean the stove pipe I will takes some pictures of my current situation.. after winter is over I'll make a permanent repair to the collar and post some pics of that as well.. maybe it will help someone in a similar situation.. in the mean time my search for a suitable pipe...brand../ schedule.? That will make a tight fit with standard single wall crimped end 6 in stove pipe continues.. I'm sure someone here must have made this same repair before...?

My Kitchen Queen has a piece of flat bar that was rounded and welded together to make the collar as well. It was not quite perfect, so I forced the male end of the pipe into it, and this caused a gap where the pipe did not conform to the collar. I had to drill extra holes in the collar and ran some screws in to pull the pipe out to it. That worked OK.

I ovalize pipe for oval connections on stoves all the time, and just make sure the seam is towards the back and they work OK.

Older stoves used a thin collar (1/8) that measured 6 inches OD and 5.75ID. Some had a thicker collar (1/4) that was 6 inch OD and 5.5 inch ID. I crimp those down smaller, and as you go around with the hand crimpers pry outward to prevent the funnel shape you get on the end of the pipe.

Since you mention an elbow directly on the stove, have you tried the side of a T over the outlet collar? This works well with the Fisher’s having a rear vent when you cannot over crimp an elbow, like you have found compromises it.

Not sure why you can’t crimp a 6 inch long piece enough to start, and place a board over the end of the pipe and drive it in? Maybe you need the elbow straight up off the stove.

Those corrugated elbows instead of adjustable ban be crimped down farther and maybe forced in.

You’re not the only one that has encountered this.

Reactions: Jeff Jay
My Kitchen Queen has a piece of flat bar that was rounded and welded together to make the collar as well. It was not quite perfect, so I forced the male end of the pipe into it, and this caused a gap where the pipe did not conform to the collar. I had to drill extra holes in the collar and ran some screws in to pull the pipe out to it. That worked OK.

I ovalize pipe for oval connections on stoves all the time, and just make sure the seam is towards the back and they work OK.

Older stoves used a thin collar (1/8) that measured 6 inches OD and 5.75ID. Some had a thicker collar (1/4) that was 6 inch OD and 5.5 inch ID. I crimp those down smaller, and as you go around with the hand crimpers pry outward to prevent the funnel shape you get on the end of the pipe.

Since you mention an elbow directly on the stove, have you tried the side of a T over the outlet collar? This works well with the Fisher’s having a rear vent when you cannot over crimp an elbow, like you have found compromises it.

Not sure why you can’t crimp a 6 inch long piece enough to start, and place a board over the end of the pipe and drive it in? Maybe you need the elbow straight up off the stove.

Those corrugated elbows instead of adjustable ban be crimped down farther and maybe forced in.

You’re not the only one that has encountered this.
I appreciate the tips.. but my collar is totally fubar.. and no amount of crimping or ovalizining or extra screws is going to make it work... I have crimper. And tools for just about everything you could think of.. I'm pretty good at fixing things.. finding the work around solutions.. as far as putting a tee over the collar that's just not going to work either. Even if it woukd fit over that's really not a good idea .. wood stove pipe has to go the opposite way.. male ends toward the stove so soot and creosote don't leak onto outside surfaces of the stove. Floor and what not.. really all I'm asking here is if anyone has experience with using readily available 6 inch pipe mating to standard 6 inch stove pipe .. again I appreciate the help but I have already exhausted all the obvious work around options. I think what I will end up doing is driving into the city to a metal supplier shop . And bring a store bought stove pipe fitting with me and see how well it fits with what ever pipe they have available.. and that the pipe is also weld able to a plate steel woid stove.. I have a stick and a nice mig welder and I'm quite good at welding.. but I never learned all the specifics.. of it wasn't so cold and the stove running 24/7:. I'll take a picture of the collar and it will be obvious there is no way to modify the stove pipe wel enough to get a good snug fit.. but I'm quite sure if I can find a short piece of pipe with exactly or very close to 6.0 in ID. And will be able to handle the relatively high temp of a wood stove collar.. and be weld able.. I'll be able to fix this stove.. I absolutely love these riteway 37 stoves.. and other then this collar issue it's brand new.. I'll post some pics soon.. and once I get it fixed I'll post exactly what pipe and what I had to do. Incase anyone else has the same problem.. again I really appreciate any and all help here..

I appreciate the tips.. but my collar is totally fubar.. and no amount of crimping or ovalizining or extra screws is going to make it work... I have crimper. And tools for just about everything you could think of.. I'm pretty good at fixing things.. finding the work around solutions.. as far as putting a tee over the collar that's just not going to work either. Even if it woukd fit over that's really not a good idea .. wood stove pipe has to go the opposite way.. male ends toward the stove so soot and creosote don't leak onto outside surfaces of the stove. Floor and what not.. really all I'm asking here is if anyone has experience with using readily available 6 inch pipe mating to standard 6 inch stove pipe .. again I appreciate the help but I have already exhausted all the obvious work around options. I think what I will end up doing is driving into the city to a metal supplier shop . And bring a store bought stove pipe fitting with me and see how well it fits with what ever pipe they have available.. and that the pipe is also weld able to a plate steel woid stove.. I have a stick and a nice mig welder and I'm quite good at welding.. but I never learned all the specifics.. of it wasn't so cold and the stove running 24/7:. I'll take a picture of the collar and it will be obvious there is no way to modify the stove pipe wel enough to get a good snug fit.. but I'm quite sure if I can find a short piece of pipe with exactly or very close to 6.0 in ID. And will be able to handle the relatively high temp of a wood stove collar.. and be weld able.. I'll be able to fix this stove.. I absolutely love these riteway 37 stoves.. and other then this collar issue it's brand new.. I'll post some pics soon.. and once I get it fixed I'll post exactly what pipe and what I had to do. Incase anyone else has the same problem.. again I really appreciate any and all help here..
No, a Tee OVER the collar is fine. Condensed liquid drips down the pipe into the capped clean out and evaporates . It doesn’t go sideways into the stove. It is the best way to connect a rear vented Fisher.

Reactions: bholler
6 in schedule 40 pipe has an ID of 6 inches plus a little. Avoid a flame cut piece, that short will likely warp. If that 0.065 in clearance is too much, find a local metal fab shop that can roll and weld the exact diameter you want. The supplier will likely have astm A-53 in stock. Very weldable and economical I would personally use E6010 for the first pass, (easier to close a bad gap and penetrates very well). Clean and cover with E7018. It should easily last another 40 years, barring the Second Coming and then who cares?

6 in schedule 40 pipe has an ID of 6 inches plus a little. Avoid a flame cut piece, that short will likely warp. If that 0.065 in clearance is too much, find a local metal fab shop that can roll and weld the exact diameter you want. The supplier will likely have astm A-53 in stock. Very weldable and economical I would personally use E6010 for the first pass, (easier to close a bad gap and penetrates very well). Clean and cover with E7018. It should easily last another 40 years, barring the Second Coming and then who cares?

Again. Trying to go over it is not going to work . The thing is so outta round.. in out over under what ever is not going to work..
Have you tried just hammering it back to round? I have done it plenty of times. I'm sure you can weld a new collar on but personally I wouldn't put that much effort into an old riteway

I believe this is going to be the onky way to fix it.. other then having to modify the stove pipe 90 every time I change the pipe.. soon as the weather warms up and I can shut the stove down for a bit ill be able to getvto it.. thx

You havent seen my hammer ;) . A rosebud torch will do wonders

Reactions: mike111
I found a guy on ebay sells a short piece of 6 in schedule 40 for not much money
... it's described as 6 1/8 id.. I think I'll just take a store bought stove pipe fitting to a supply house and see just how well it fits and make a decision based on that