Fiskars work on large rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
While I'm a big fan of the x25 and x27 on small peices, I've not found them effective at breaking the big rounds up. Anyone have success with rounds 2' in diameter and bigger?

I've been using the sledge and wedge, and 8 lb maul to chunk up the large rounds, and the X's to carve the chunks up into stove size.

I start from the outside and work my way in on big rounds. Once I get one piece to pop off I just keep going around the outer edge until it is a pile of splits. Beech is about the only tree that I work on that is 2+ ft.

I start from the outside and work my way in on big rounds. Once I get one piece to pop off I just keep going around the outer edge until it is a pile of splits. Beech is about the only tree that I work on that is 2+ ft.

+1^^^

You won’t get it to open up if you’re aiming for the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
This is generally my preferred technique, even with a maul. I'll have to try this again. I'm always conscious about trying to keep the fiskars out of the dirt, don't mind nearly as much with the maul.

Ed... get the ISO core from Fiskars and your troubles are over..like you I don't like chipping away at rounds and I do have both the ISO maul and the X27...I rarely pick up the 27 when there is serious work to do..sorry but the X27 gets way over rated...it has it place but its fortay is not busting large rounds.

Ed... get the ISO core from Fiskars and your troubles are over..like you I don't like chipping away at rounds and I do have both the ISO maul and the X27...I rarely pick up the 27 when there is serious work to do..sorry but the X27 gets way over rated...it has it place but its fortay is not busting large rounds.
I've been strongly considering upgrading my old maul to the isocore. If I can come up with an excuse to treat myself, that's what I'll do.

I've been strongly considering upgrading my old maul to the isocore. If I can come up with an excuse to treat myself, that's what I'll do.
I liked it so well I got 2!

Well, I can swing right handed, or left handed, but not both at once!

Plus, I don't have any strong, willing offspring to help...
I hear you...you can fix that....

The x27 works just as well as a regular maul on big rounds.

On large easy straight grained stuff, I find a natural crack and whack it straight across there.

On large difficult stuff, I work around the outside, whacking chunks off as I go. (Well, I used to, now it goes to the log splitter.)

On large awful stuff, it is sledge'n'wedge time if you don't have a splitter.

Perfect example- today I brought out my old 8 lb maul and new x27 to help with busting up lg rounds for splitter. I took 3 whacks at a peice of oak and threw it to side and grabbed the x27 . I don’t know how I used it for the last 3 years

Reactions: Prof
Perfect example- today I brought out my old 8 lb maul and new x27 to help with busting up lg rounds for splitter. I took 3 whacks at a peice of oak and threw it to side and grabbed the x27 . I don’t know how I used it for the last 3 years
About 6 years ago I got the X27--haven't used a maul since and rarely use the sledge and wedge.

As others have mentioned I just work my way around the edge. Big rounds are nice because they stay in place while you split pieces of it off.